1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz 7 1/2s ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

In FITASC sporting clays all sizes of targets are used and targets are taken at 30 - 35 yards (closest) out to about 60 yards (farthest). The winning Master class shooter at the recent state shoot states he uses nothing but 1 oz. of 7 1/2s and .20 and .25 thousandths chokes in his Perazzi. If 1 oz. of 7 1/2s can perform winning scores in FITASC, wouldn't this load be sufficient for trap? Neil Winston please comment if you see this thread. Best Regards, Ed

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Most FITASC targets are not true "on edge" targets like trap, and many have much more spin than ATA targets, thus easier to break with a couple pellets. Also, some are climbing, falling, curling, and most are crossing. 1 oz 7 1/2's do work good on 27 yard, you just have to believe it. Did he say what the speed of the shell was? Next weekend we have a big shoot at Detroit Gun Club. the BY PASS Super sport. Everyone on my squad will be shooting 1oz 7 1/2's and 8's at various speeds. .020 and .025 would be excellant chokes. 1oz typically shoot tighter than 1 1/8, or at least thats what I've been told.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ed,

I use 1 ounce of 8-1/2's at 16 yards, 1200 ft/sec. They seem to work OK for me.

1 ounce of 7-1/2's should be fine for trap, though for handicap I have gone to 1-1/8 ounce now that I'm back to 24 yards.

See you tonight at league.

Tim

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

No you won't, but at that yardage, the pattern of 1 1/8 0z isn't pretty either. Sporting is a 2-3 hour game. You will lose some targets by not concentrating, or picking up your head, or just plain missing a hard target. An 88 may win the match. Only few can expect perfect scores, though seldom accomplished. Recoil over that amount of time is more of a factor, and you MUST break the easy ones.

I'll carry some Nitros for the 60 yard crossers, but use no more than I have to.
    We only want to break the target, and don't expect smoke on a falling 45 yarder.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

finger- Are you sure that international trap is shot with 7/8 oz of shot? I thought 1 3/4 oz of shot, contained in two 7/8 oz packages, was allowed.

Pat Ireland

6. oz

oz Active Member

shoot the same 60 yards with a light modified. I think you will find the pattern better than modified. oz

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

oz, your correct depending on the gun, but many on TS.com do not believe a LM choke is adequate for that yardage. It will consistantly break long targets if you do your part. Sporting and trap are diff. games.

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I appreciate the comments, and, yes, I shoot 1 oz. 8s @ 16 and 1 1/8 oz. 7.5s @ any yardage beyond 22...yes, I am sure 1 oz. won't smokeball anything at 27 yd handicap range or beyond. The idea I like best is to shoot a pattern @ 50+ yards. Good discussion. Best Regards, Ed

9. southpark

southpark TS Member

I am not positive offhand, but I think you'll find there is a huge difference between ATA trap loads and the "light" FITASC and bunker loads.

The FITASC and bunker loads go a lot faster and would not be allowed under ATA rules.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Big Tuna,

There are several good reasons why FITASC winners nearly always use 1 ounce #7.5 shot. The best reason is because 1 ounce of shot (actually 28 grams) is the maximum that is allowed in FITASC, and, since nearly all shots are long ones, #7.5 size is the logical choice to use. Occasionally a FITASC shooter will use #8 shot on one of the closer targets, but it's hard to go wrong with 1 ounce #7.5 shot.

Another difference between FITASC and ATA Trap is that in FITASC, scores in the low 90's are very good scores. You don't have to shoot 100 and then win a shoot-off to win at FITASC. Also, in FITASC, on "singles" you get to shoot a second shot if you miss with the first shot. Singles usually make up about 20% of all the targets in FITASC.

So, a person should choose the best load for the game he is shooting and not be influenced by what someone else uses in another shooting sport. A skeet champion may use #9 shot for all his shots, but that doesn't mean that 9's would be a good choice for ATA Trap.

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

Remember these words: "Less is more". The less shot you use the better........... for me, that is. LOL

12. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

rainman says they use ounce and a quarter in international trap. so every target that is broken in international trap is broken by both shots hitting the target at the percise timeing??? no one target in international competition has been broken by the fireing of one shot of 7/8th ounce??? damn rainman sure is up on the international game, knowing that not one single person has ever brokenone target with just fireing at it once. im simply amazed at rainmans vast knowledge of international trivia. you be da man rainman.

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

Eddie, you seem to be saying that you are satisfied with a 57% pattern. If so, you aren't very particular. Even at 40 yards it's clear that you would have a marginal pattern. Choking up would seem to be in order from the info you provided.

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Eddie: "I think putting them on paper helps build confidence."

Every time I have patterned a shotgun at forty yards, I've been amazed we break as many targets as we do, nevermind crush a lot of them. So many damn holes in the pattern - you would think a lot of the targets would slip through, yet still they break, many of them into lots of pieces!

On the main issue, I vacillate. Almost all of the time I use 1 ounce of #8 for singles and both shots of doubles, and some of the time I use the load for handicap. The rest of the time in handicap I use 1 1/8 of #7 1/2. I do have about six flats of 1 ounce #7 1/2 loaded, and maybe one of these days I'll use them.

I feel that most of my misses are caused by gross mispointing of the target on my part, not pattern failure, because when I am on them, they usually break hard, and when I miss, most of the time I can tell I'm nowhere close. But those are my perceptions - your's may vary.

15. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Eddie and pocatello, your points are well-stated and I vacillate on loads. Yep, I have patterned my 1 oz. 8s at a board which is about 35 - 40 yds. out and am amazed that more targets don't fly through my pattern even using the Browning factory IMod choke which came with my XT. So, for practice I may start using 1 oz. of 7 1/2s for practice because I am about out of #8 shot and will try to "save" it for 16s. Meanwhile, any competitive shooting at handicap yardage will still be with 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2s. Great comments. Ed

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

1 oz. of 7 1/2's at 1290 FPS with .034 const. at 27 yards=SMOKEBALLS!!

17. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

18. BMC

BMC Member

Ollie, that's my favorite load through a full choke...ink balls when I'm shooting properly, even from mid handicap distance.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

International loads are limited to 24g of shot which is actually slightly less than 7/8oz. The speed is not all that much more at aprox. 1340fps.

I know I am going to get into hot water with this comment but all it takes is 1 pellet to break a bird and those who think they need all the shot they can get in the shell is in all reality a poor shooter who must rely on something other than his/her own skill but instead uses the crutch of more shot to succesfully accomplish there task.

If you know what your doing and do it right you will smoke the bird all the way back to the 27yd line. If it can be done on the international fields with targets that fly faster, farther with much wider angles and elevations than it can be done on the ATA fields ... unless of course you need a crutch of some sort to help you shoot.

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...like two shots, giving you a potential total of 48 grams, 20 more grams than a one-ounce load.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the size of paper game targets in fitasc