1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 oz 1145fps Fed Gold Medal Reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kriegfan, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

Would like to develop a 1145 fps 1 oz. reload using a Federal Gold Medal case and a 12S0 wad. Have noted that Alliant does not list a 1 oz. 1145 Red Dot reload for the Gold Medal.

It's not my nature to deviate from the loading manual but, in this case, I'm wondering if actually reducing the powder charge from the specified 18.0 grains needed for 1200 fps to about 17.0 to 17.5 grains in order to attain ~ 1145fps would be a safe possibility.

Has anyone else had success with reducing this recipe to get a load closer to 1145 fps?

Thanks in advance.

KF

2. lancelot

lancelot Member

Howdy KF -

About a week ago I asked the Alliant tech. boys about 17.3 Promo, STS case, DR XL-1 wad, and W209 primer. They said I would get about 1175 FPS.
    That's about what your proposing for the Federal case, and I would think give you somewhere around 1145 FPS. Call them @ 1-800-276-9337 and they will tell you.

Best regards, Ron Ireland

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I use 18.8(not more)of PB,Fed 209A,SO wad. This is THE softest shooting 1 oz reload I have used. It chronos about 1140 out of my TM-1 34" bbl. I really think PB is the best powder for the GM plastic. They developed the Extra-Lite load using a canister grade of PB. I have also found the Fed 209A is the best primer. Yup,PB is very pricey. So is a $9 box of Rem-AA. Go out & spend a few bucks on a # of PB. Or ask around your club to buy a bit from someone that has a big can. Compare my PB load against all others. Am sure you will see/feel the difference

4. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

Good information. Thanks to all...

KF

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

kriegfan:

Congrats on your conservative/cautious approach to reloading. Like you, I stick to published recipies. The only exceptions I make are a few non-published component combinations that have been 'blessed' by a powder, wad, or primer manufacturer.

You will get the best answer to your original question by asking Ben Amonette, Consumer Service Manager for Alliant Powder Company. Mr. Amonette's e-mail is ben.amonette@atk.com

Over a number of years I have asked him several questions and he has always been helpful.

sissy

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

kriegfan, 17.3 gr of Red Dot gave me the 1145 fps. that your looking for over my chorno. It was also confirmed as a safe load with Hercules tech. But as always you should make the call to Alliant and verify before loading such. I have used this load for many years for the 1st shot in doubles. Be sure to use the Federal 209A for ignition.

7. kriegfan

kriegfan TS Member

Sissy: I planned on calling Alliant Monday morning to verify results of dropping the RD charge from 18gr to 17gr, now I have the name of a good company contact! I appreciate your response.

Thanks Martin!! That's some great info. also. First shot on doubles is exactly what I want to use this load for. I shot some 1 oz. 1200fps (18gr. RD Fed. 209A primer and the 12S0 wad) today and crushed every target I shot at with the bottom barrel (.017) of my doubles gun. Even though I felt very minimal recoil, I thought that 1200fps could be easily decreased a bit to allow me to stay in the gun even a little better. Makes sense to me.

Thanks again to all...

KF

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Best value and/or More Bang for the Buck:

16 grs of 700X, Federal 209A primer, Claybuster 12S0 clone, 1 oz. of shot.

For further info, check the IMR Powder website.

Curt - Delaware

My favorite 1 oz. recipe is using 17 grs. of 700X...approx 1200 fps. It's great for 16's and both shots of doubles.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For the record, you can safely reduce the powder charge in any published load.

If you go to far you will get erratic velocity and filthy barrel syndrome. That's how you can tell. You need to stay above 6500 PSI or so in my experience. I had run some low recoil 1 oz 7625 loads and they worked but with the stated results. It was around 5000 psi.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.