1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1-ounce loads with Green Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pigkiller, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I'm getting a keg of Green Dot and wanted to know if any of you used 17-19 grains of it for your one-ounce loads. I currently use 17.4 grains of Clays, Winchester 209 primers and a XL-1 Windjammer wad in an STS shell.

2. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes, solid powder as in reliable. I normally use 700X for my 12ga and now the GD is just as atractive. I speak from experience. It's not a BAD thing to venture out and try sumthing new (guns, powder, shells, women, trucks,) it's all fun living.

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

I used 19.0gr. GD and an ounce of shot and it was fine. I know a couple of guys using 18.5.

Wayne

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Pig, to be honest, you might be a little disappointed with the GD in your 1oz loads if you are used to Clays. It is pretty dirty at those low pressures. I shoot nearly your same load I didn't like it with GD. I went back to Clays for singles loads.

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I'm in the same camp as Avaldes.

I used Red Dot & Clays for 1 oz loads as I found GD too dirty.

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Too much powder for a 1 oz load using Green Dot. Chronograph that load. GD is more effective in a 1 1/8 oz. load using 19 to 20 grains. Fred

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Green Dot is an excellent powder, and it'll probably work fine, but there are better powders for 1 ounce loads than Green Dot.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It makes a great 1 oz. load. You have to use at least 19.5 grains to keep pressures up. Click the link or use the search for more info.

Wayne

9. Cooter

Cooter Member

I used a 1oz GD load with 9s for the first shot in doubles and got a lot of funny soundig loads,I used Remington primers in them. I switched to fed. primers,problem solved.As others have stated,if you get too lite you don't create enough presure to get a clean burn.

10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

You will be a lot happier if you stay with Clays for 1 oz loads.....SMOKIT

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like Red Dot or E3 for 1 oz at 1080 FPS (ATA).

I like Green Dot for 1 1/8 oz at 1145 FPS (ATA).

I like new Federal Gold Medal (1200 FPS) or New STS Nitro 1235 FPS 27 (Games).

I like Unique for 1 1/8 oz at 1250 FPS(Games).

I like Herco for 1 1/4 oz at 1220 - 1250 FPS (Games).

I like Blue Dot for 1 1/2 oz at 1145 FPS(Games).

I have enough space in my reloading area for more than one powder.

I used to use a lot of 700X and PB but now prefer the Alliant family of powders.

Ed Ward

12. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

As a number of folks have noted, it works pretty well if you keep the pressures up. I use it to duplicate SC loads using 20.0 gr with WAA12SL wad. If recoil reduction is your goal, you would probably be happier with Red Dot or Clays with a little less velocity.

13. fishguts

fishguts Member

I have to agree that GD is a dirty powder, I use Clays now for lite loads and it works fine and is clean burning.

Wayne

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have been using 16.9 grs. of GD in 1oz. looads for years. I also use it for my 20 ga. hunting loads. I have tried other powders but find that GD performs well and is quite versatile.

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I use 19.5 grs in the 1 oz load and it works great in the warm weather months.As stated above it is dirty in this application.Also the shells need to be kept warm before shooting in cold weather say 40 degrees and colder or you will get bloopers.Works fine in the break open guns and will dirty up a semi auto quick!PJ

16. John55

John55 Active Member

Lots of better options out there for 1oz than GD, especially if you shoot much in cold weather. I tried it and wasn't happy with the inconsistent sounding shells in cold temps, plus it was dirty and sooted up the cases. Use Clays, Clay Dot or Red Dot and you'll be much happier.

17. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Since no one else has mentioned Alliant's Extra Light, I will. I've given up on Green Dot for the same reasons previously offered and moved on to American Select for heavier loads. Don't get Clay Dot and Clays confused because they are NOT the same. Right now, I'm finding Extra Light to be a great choice for 1oz loads, especially with Downrange's excellent Purple Windjammer wad in STS style tapered hulls.

best...mike

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Ive been using GD for the last 2 years and yes it's pretty dirty unless you load heavy I use 21gr with a RXP wad for Handicap, I just ordered a keg of Clay Dot for 16s and light loads for my wife.

19. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Thanks for the feedback. After reading your comments, and based on past experience, I have decided Green Dot is not the right powder for the relatively low-grain 1-ounce loads I prefer. I'm going to stick to Clays; switching to GD would require at least 2 extra grains in order to get satisfactory pressures.
    That said, I would load it if I had nothing else.

20. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Clays is a GREAT powder. Clean, versatile and reliable. I don't see any reason to change either. I use it for my singles loads and Titegroup or GD for my handicap loads. I don't see any real reason to stick with just one powder or just one wad. Half the fun of reloading is coming up with combinations that work for you. Don't go by what someone else says.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 oz green dot loads

1ounce green dot reloads

1ozloads with green dothandicap
how many grains of green dot for 1 oz of shot