1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 ounce loads w/drxxl wad 18.2 promo blooping

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought some Orange Down Range DR-XXL wads loading them with 18.2 Promo Powder and getting 99% off sounding reports, and quite a bit of bloopers, loading them in TOP GUN Hulls w/fed 209A primers, I wanted a 1200fps load.
    Glad I only loaded 60 of them. I just loaded 25 more with 19.5 Grs Promo going to try them, I think one contributing factor is the gas seal ring is thicker and not tapered like AA wads stopping the gas seal from expanding and sealing off the gases. The wads are for the straight wall hulls. I did not want a 1290 Fps load I now have about 415 wads that I need a good load for using Promo Powder.

Anyone else expierence a problem like this?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I got some free from a guy who had problems. I had problems. I like the JXL for AA and STS, just going to use Green Dusters in my Federal and Estate hulls, that and 12SO clones.

HM

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I also tried a case of these wads and found I didn't like the results either. The only way I could use these with satisfactory results was to build a good fire behind the wad.(read higher chamber pressure here) The extra long collapsing cross section between the base and the shot cup seems to tilt one way or the other creating those off sounds. On paper, some of those off sounding loads pattern sux too! I got rid of the remaining wads I bought.

Hap

4. Chester White

Chester White Member

Same problem here, except with Estate and RIO hulls. I have no idea why they don't seal very well. Fortunately I used up the last of the 5000 last week.

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I usually load STS or Gun Club hulls. However, I came across some Top Guns and loaded them with the same components that I use in the Remingtons. No problems. I load 17 oz. Promo, DRRT12 wad, Fiocchi primer with 1 oz. Lawrence shot. Easy on recoil and does the job if I do mine. Ed

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Some friends loaded up some and a few had some very funny sounds. Found some of the wads and the powder cup, bottom, gas seal,... had the side blown out of it. I think Hap is right. The wad collapses and tilts. Wonder if the bottom of the wad will ever turn 90 degrees and plug-up in the barrel? They use red dot.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Cold Weather?

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Are those wads intended for taper-hull shells, Gary?

Minnesota Webmaster Ron Baker ran a number of tests of one-ounce loads and Estate hulls in my lab. There was no doubt about the results; when you use just an ounce you _have_ to use a straightwall-intended wad with those hulls, or you get just what you describe, though Ron used Clays as I remember. Up the shot-weight to 1 1/8 ounce and then either kind of wad works fine.

Neil

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've been using them for 20,000 shells now, and I do get 'some' bloopers. Two weeks ago when it was cold, it was bad, but things are fine now.

I use STS hulls, the old green drxxl wads, ounce of shot, and 18 grains of red dot. 16 yard load, skeet or doubles only. I was breaking the targets just fine, even on the bad sounding loads. Shot my average that day.

Funny thing was, though...I let the loaded shells drop through a hole in the bench into a big paper box. Load 500, 600 at a time. Anyway, this particular batch of 500 or so....shot them at leagues for the couple or so weeks prior to the bad day...then the bad day...then league the next week. They only sounded funny that one day. Its Anchorage in late February, early March when this happened..so not THAT much variance in temperature, really.

Can anyone explain that? BTW, it was about 3 weeks ago, and I continue to use the load with no issues...other than that one day.

For what it's worth, I don't use a lot of wad pressure on the press...

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I tried the sample of these wads and they were dismal. I use 18.2 grains of Promo, Federal primer, 12S0 wad, and 1 oz of shot in the Federal Tubes. Second loading get the Rio primer to seal better because of the paper base wad. Then they get pitched. The claims by Downrange that these XXL wads are the equivalent of the Federal 12S0 isn't quite the truth. Some people may have better results with them, but the few I tried weren't worth the effort. AT least not in the loads I tried.

Jeff P

Did you store some in your vehicle overnight and then have off sounding loads the next day? Were the ones that performed properly NOT stored in the cold overnight? Try putting some in the freezer and see how they do cold.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The orange wads are for straight walled hulls, the pinks, for tapered hulls. Hap

edited;

When I tried these wads, both straight walled and tapered for the correct cases, I had to add more powder to prevent the off sounds. I didn't want to have to do that so I used a different wad to get what I wanted. The lighter the shot payload, the bigger the fire you have to build to have complete ignition and chamber pressure to make it work! You don't necessarily have to add more shot which defeats the intent.

12. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Well bloopers are an incomplete burn but I think that's been pointed out. A few degrees can make all the difference. However the gun also makes a difference. Is your gun had it forcing cones lengthened, back bored or other mods to the barrel to reduce recoil or improve patterns (is it a Browning, they are built with some of these things)??? Lengthened forcing cones certainly do reduce recoil, however what it does is reduce the pressure and reduce the speed of the load, which by default reduces the recoil. So your gun could not be helping with the pressure problem you have. Also straight walled hulls don't produce pressure all that great to start with.

We can blame the wad but there are more things contributing to this that just the wad. I have used batches of Promo that just wouldn't perform in the cold, must have been that batch is all I can say.

Keep those shells for warmer weather, they will perform just fine.

No not a bash on Promo, or a wad or a gun, but they can certainly all gang up on you to make some messy gun cleaning in the evenings.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Neil the DRXXL wad is for straight wall hulls which I was using, It says on the brochure they are for 1 ounce and 1 1/8th oz, I don't know how you could get 1 1/8th ounce in them. Every shell was off sounding and quite a few were bloopers, I don't know where I will be able to use the rest of the 420 wads left, I wish I would have bought the Clay buster clone for federal 1 oz loads.

I put 19.5 grains Promo in 25 to try tomarrow, I guess then I will give the wads away.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have a lot of experience with that wad. Fellows at the club tried them and came away with bloopers as well. What I found that works is this. Increase the depth of the crimp as deep as possible without the crimp mushrooming on you. This increases the pressure of the shell and reduces the blooping. There have been studies reported in the Lyman's reloading book about the effects of dept of crimp. The dept is an important factor in the pressure of a load. P.S. I get success with 26gm's of 8's and 17 grains of red dot, which generates a lot less pressure than your load. Thanks Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.