1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 ounce choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rautdr, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rautdr

rautdr Member

I shoot a 682 Gold E o/u for trap. Mainly league 21 yd. and some ATA(still at
    the 20). Right now I only have the factory flush chokes but am looking to upgrade. Just wondering if there is a type or brand of choke tube that might be better for 1 oz. vs. 1 1/8 oz. I mainly shoot 1 oz. reloads.

I know the patterning board is the right answer but would like to hear opinions before I buy. Thanks for any help.

Dan from Wisconsin

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put the factory IMOD tube in the gun and leave it there. The fancy aftermarket tubes aren't going to do anything for you. Spend your money on ammo and targets and if there is any left over get some professional coaching. This is the stuff that helps you break more targets.

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I've used both the IMOD and LTFULL factory extended Beretta chokes for my 1oz 1175 fps reloads for the yardages you shoot; smoke IF I do my part. J.Terre (optima bore DT 10)

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot most of my targets from the 27 but I am different than others, I just got a X-FULL tube for my one ounce loads, as I want a tight shooting pattern especially w/less pellets in the one ounce load, but again that is my personal opinion.

I have just began to try 1 ounce loads after 42+ years of shooting 1 1/8th oz loads, but I will stay w/my 1 1/8th oz #6s w/Longshot for shootoffs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Don't spend any money on chokes. The ones you have are fine. The ones you intend to buy aren't any better. The amount of shot, between 1 1/8oz and 1oz, doesn't matter to the choke.

6. oz

oz Active Member

these guys probably don't shoot 1 oz loads. 16 yd line use i/c...21 yd line use mod. I shoot 1 oz all the time and have shot 100 registered. I also use 71/2 shot exclusively. just try it, you'll like it

7. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I shoot all 1 oz loads for league shoots and a .030 light full does just fine for me.I'd go to 1 1/8 for anything beyond the 24 yard line.My 90t is choked .034 and it works just as well too.

8. rautdr

rautdr Member

I shoot a 682 Gold E o/u for trap. Mainly league 21 yd. and some ATA(still at
    the 20). Right now I only have the factory flush chokes but am looking to upgrade. Just wondering if there is a type or brand of choke tube that might be better for 1 oz. vs. 1 1/8 oz. I mainly shoot 1 oz. reloads.

I know the patterning board is the right answer but would like to hear opinions before I buy. Thanks for any help.

Dan from Wisconsin

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Put the factory IMOD tube in the gun and leave it there. The fancy aftermarket tubes aren't going to do anything for you. Spend your money on ammo and targets and if there is any left over get some professional coaching. This is the stuff that helps you break more targets.

10. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

I've used both the IMOD and LTFULL factory extended Beretta chokes for my 1oz 1175 fps reloads for the yardages you shoot; smoke IF I do my part. J.Terre (optima bore DT 10)

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot most of my targets from the 27 but I am different than others, I just got a X-FULL tube for my one ounce loads, as I want a tight shooting pattern especially w/less pellets in the one ounce load, but again that is my personal opinion.

I have just began to try 1 ounce loads after 42+ years of shooting 1 1/8th oz loads, but I will stay w/my 1 1/8th oz #6s w/Longshot for shootoffs.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Don't spend any money on chokes. The ones you have are fine. The ones you intend to buy aren't any better. The amount of shot, between 1 1/8oz and 1oz, doesn't matter to the choke.

13. oz

oz Active Member

these guys probably don't shoot 1 oz loads. 16 yd line use i/c...21 yd line use mod. I shoot 1 oz all the time and have shot 100 registered. I also use 71/2 shot exclusively. just try it, you'll like it

14. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I shoot all 1 oz loads for league shoots and a .030 light full does just fine for me.I'd go to 1 1/8 for anything beyond the 24 yard line.My 90t is choked .034 and it works just as well too.

15. DanLee

DanLee Member

Put the full choke in and throw all the other choke tubes in the trash.

Dan

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Same as bjk1972. I shoot 1 oz for practice and registered singles using a .030 (lt.full) and it works fine from 16. Should be good to about 23 yds. Beyond that a full with 1 1/8 oz. is what works best in my gun. If you dont have a Light Full, I would choose the Full and forget about it.

17. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I suggest you contact Stu Wright and talk with him.. I'm sure he would give you good advice. He's been in this game a long time and has a ton of choke knowledge.

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I shoot almost all 1 oz loads. The choke depends on the shell & your gun. In my Infinity from the 16 1 oz #81/2 @ 1185 (Rem factory) combined with a Briley LM extended choke , the targets vanish ,no smoke--they disappear. I'm shooting an Infinity with a .740 bore. Shooters I shoot with can attest to this.

Phil Berkowitz

19. rautdr

rautdr Member

OK thanks everyone for the help. I have been using the full from the 21. Just don't seem to crush them like my old 870 used to, with the 30 in. full barrel.

I am probably just not centering on them consistantly yet. Still getting the new 682 dialed in. Thanks again, Dan

20. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I am not trying to stir the s**t but just for the hell of it try a Muller U3 choke and 1oz of 8 1/2's at 1300 fps from 20 and see what you get.if that work's out try a Muller U2 from 16 same load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.