1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 eye w/tape- switch to 2 - no tape?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    If you've been using translucent tape to block the image from the left eye, switch to black electrical tape to cut out the light from that eye as well. I can shoot rifles and handguns with both eyes open when the focus is on the front sight not the target. But I know you're wasting your life trying to shoot clays right handed with a dominant left eye where the focus is on the target.

Not a problem for doubles since I always know where the second target is going.

2. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Jan 29, 1998

The following info is all from experience. I feel your pain and have lived your pain.

About 10 years ago my right eye decided to take a crap on me. Being a right handed shooter this didn't go so well. Went to the tape. It worked so-so but I still wasn't satisfied with seeing the target as best I could.

After 6 months - 1 year of frustration I made the switch to left handed. Shot left handed for about 1 year and scores were okay but I could never really get comfortable shooting left handed.

Shortly after that I made my mind up to switch back to a righty, shoot two eyed, and basically give it six months or else that was it.

I will say if you decide to stay right handed and ditch the tape you MUST COMMIT yourself to this process for at least 6 months. This isn't going to happen over night. Your basically going to retrain your eyes and yourself. Focus on looking at the target and letting your instinct take your barrel into the bird.

Barrel blinders have also helped me. Cuts down on cross firing when that left eye wants to take over. Hi-Viz sights have also helped out from time to time.

Again, take it from experience this is what worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Matt Krizinski
  3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

May 3, 2008
    Try a darker lens,of the same basic color, for the left side. You can still see, but the left won't take over. Looks funny, but it works.
  4. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Mar 13, 2010
    This may help if Tape doesn't

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I agree that if you have, as you say, been shooting with one eye taped, almost anything would be an improvement. If you shoot with one eye, don't use tape.
  6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Left eye dominant, right hand shooter, tape over left lense. Better shooting but at a handicap for doubles, skeet and sporting clays. Almost a handicap for birds.

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Phil Kiner's column in this month's Trap & Field covers this topic.
  8. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I under right or left is a brain thing not a eye thing. thanks
  9. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Oct 23, 2006
    NSXER...YOU are really the only one that answer this question, when it comes to eyeballs and vision, everybody is a different animal.

Generally speaking, if want to shoot both eyes open, I'd suggest switching shoulders and get the gun under your dominate eye. Big adjustment, but I'd bet it will be no tougher than trying to learn two eyed off the wrong shoulder. Either method will be a learning curve
  10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    After the way I shot Sunday before last, I think that taping both eyes will help......merlyn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.