1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1/4 Right Advice Please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Fraz, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Thanks for your past advice,as suggested; Harlan campbell CD & Phil Ross one bird at a time all made a great difference. For some reason the 1/4 right from station 2 & 4 cost me; I keep coming up on the wrong side. ? my gun to high and I don't see the target or looking to high ? or seeing the bird to late going to fast to the target ?? advice please.
    Thanks Fraz

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The gun is blocking your vision. Lower your gun and you will see the bird sooner. If you shoot with two eyes you can lean how to look through the gun (xray vision) and you will see the bird when it leaves the house. HMB

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm probably the wrong person to be giving anyone advice-but when I have a problem with any particular target, this is what I do.--Go to the range set up the machine for the angle that is giving me a problem & shoot,& shoot-till I hit the target consistantly. Then put the machine on auto and shoot a 25 bird round from the position that was giving me fits--In your case shoot one round from stations 2 & 4 after the locked practice. This will take all the anticipation away,after hitting targets when you known where they are going.

Lou

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Are you a one or two eye shooter? This is basic to the discussion.

5. xcollector

xcollector TS Member

Fraz,

I hold a low gun, but when I started out I was struggling with the 1/4 angles. It turned out I was shooting them like a straight away and not getting in front of the target. It took me a few weeks to figure it out, and about 100 targets to fix it. When I mentioned the situation to my father-in-law the first thing he said was "you are probably shooting it like a straight away". Should have asked sooner.....

Doug

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

On a properly set field, the quarter angle is going to be an inside or acute angle from 2. Holding a high gun, as is the case with most 2 eyed shooters, means that your primary move to that target is going to be as much horizontal as vertical. However, if you combine the horizontal and vertical movement 50/50 you have a gun movement that slices up at an angle like moving the gun from the center of a clockface towards the 2 while the target is moving from the 6 to the 2. Consequently, rather than tracking with the target path you intersect it and reduce the pattern coverage of the target flight path substantially. If the timing is off just a bit, you shoot behind the target.

I resolved this issue by learning to make my first move a flat horizontal slide to the right and then bring the gun up on the left side of the target flight path. This eliminated intersecting the target path and allowed me to move the gun with the target path thereby increasing the pattern coverage of the target flight path.

For hard rights from 2, which are obtuse or outside angles, I do the same but the slide is longer so that I can bring the gun up on the outside of the target path.

Reverse for post 4 as needed. The key for both is to get under the target path and then up and through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.