1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1/4 million $pecial event ends.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Inquiring minds want to know? Who shot the high scores? And why was the money split percentage rather than high gun?

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

100's: Tim Robb (AZ) and John Adams (OR)

Why %? Because that's how the hosts wanted it and that's how the program specified it.

3. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

John Adams is a friend and sqadmate of my husband, and I am totally thrilled for the both of them!

Wow. Great shooting, guys! (Can you just imagine the PRESSURE???)

We've gotten updates from several friends of ours that attended this shoot, and kudos to the Vernal Rod and Gun Club for another outstanding shoot!!!!

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

alf,

Vernal's fall shoot is Sep 14-16, 2007. It should be good also, but it will be hard to rival this one. The program in September (if it's similar to last year's, which I would expect) will be 100 pair of doubles and then a combination of 50 and 100 target handicap events over the three days.

The June shoot (just completed) was not invitation only. However, for next year's June shoot the people who shot this year will be given first preference. They will have to pre-pay for targets (same as this year) and any spots that are open will be put on presquad.com (that's the plan currently, as far as I know).

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

In the handicap championship, Frank had 99. So did Leo, Stu Welton, and a few others.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Congratulations" to all of the "Big Winners" ... Now, thats what a shoot is supposed to be when you look at all of the numbers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

CONGRATS "ORANGE CRUSHER" on your 100 from the 27........

You picked a heck of a time to do it, we're proud and happy for you John.

John Stephens

8. jc13

jc13 TS Member

I would like to congratulate Stu Welton on his outstanding handicap shooting. The man is simply a machine shooting 99,98,99 and buying John Adams he had a very gooood weekend!

9. quicky

quicky Member

The shoot was well run and was, with 68 - 70 squads, about as full as the club could handle with the time available. The Sept. shoot will have to be smaller as the days are shorter.

All the principals: Craig Hart, Bill and Pete Martin, Scotty Gross, Stacy and Sean Hawley and a whole ton of others did a yoeman's job of keeping the shoot smooth and well oiled. Vernal Gun Club members were working everywhere so we ordinary shooters, as well as the not so ordinary shooters like Stu Welton and the many other All-Americans there could have a first-rate shooting experience.

I do believe ATA shoots are open to all shooters, but there are limits as to the # of shooters that can be accomodated with club size and trap availability.

The generosity of the Vernal Gun Club members and directors was wonderful, and i can't say enough good things about the whole weekend. Thanks very much, Vernal Rod and Gun Club, and all those mentioned above, for a first class operation. Quicky

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

hairy

How can you lose what you never had?

ed.

11. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

How much did it cost to shoot and enter the special event ?? I would like to attend next year or it sounds like the September shoot. How much is in the special event in the Sept. shoot?? Post a program so us out of staters can make plans. This sounds like what the Las Vegas " Las Vegas 500" gun club wants to get going',I wanted to go to that one but it didnt work out.
    Thanks

12. BBowen

BBowen Member

Special congratualtions to Bowen shooters, Dusty Klein and Jerry Mitchell on their 98's in Sunday's handicap!
    Thanks to Craig, Bill, Pete, Scotty and crew for another great shoot! It's always the best shoot around!
    Bruce and Chris Bowen

13. Automan

Automan TS Member

Did Millsap win the blind man draw?

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Would someone from Vernal please send me the entry details that brought in
    $230,000.00 I would like to introduce it to the Ohio State president for our upcoming state shoot.

Was it Calcutta Money?

Dr.longshot

15. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

Calcutta ---

90 % to buyer -- 10% to shooter

4 places 40% - 30% - 20% - 10% - ties divide

$20.00 entry

1,500 wild card tickets sold at $10.00

2 wild cards drawn - one before auction begins, another after ~30% sold - any shooter still available can be selected.

$300.00 floor bid - $350.00 first bid

Lots of whiskey and beer (and lots of fun!)

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I understand that next year the Nevada State Shoot will be the week before Vernal. Can anybody confirm that?

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

$230,000 - am I reading that right for a special event with 68 squads? 68 full squads would be 340 shooters. 230K divided by 340 equals $676 per shooter. Must have been some real high rollers there. If I was there I would have brought the average down, I couldn't see anybody going over $23 for me.

18. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

jbbor

I will take the bait... the only thing the rule book states about this (that I can find) is...

IV.A.4.

A shooter is not required to be a member of any club or facility to
    participate in a duly authorized registered shoot. See Section IV A,2.
    b payment of state/provincial dues.

So, theoretically, you COULD do an invitational since it is not requiring you to be a member of a club/facility. Some people believe that you theoretically can't shoot a shoot if you did not receive a program in the mail (i.e. "an invitation). I still can't find a rule for that one either. For example, some people believe that if the did not receive a Indiana State Shoot program via the mail, they could be denied entry to the shoot.

Personally, I think the above rule is to stop clubs from charging extra $$ to people that are not "members" to bilk more money out of them. Imagine if you traveled 4+ hours only to find the club says you need to be a member of the club and pay up $10. Would you turn around and go home without shooting? Of course not, but you probably won't return. Either way, the club made an extra $10.

Let me know if you find anything!

John

19. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I talked to Randy Adams this afternoon, our Pocatello Trap Club president, who attended the shoot. He said everybody had a great time - the food was fabulous, and the Calcutta auction had to be experienced to be believed. The following is my recollection of what he said, and if it's faulty, it is my fault, not his. He said the first wild card chose Leo Harrison Jr., so the $10 returned a hefty payout when Leo broke 99. Stu Welton went for over $20 thousand in the auction. Stu Welton bought Adams for $400, so not only is Stu a great shooter, but he is also a great judge of shooting talent. Mike Stears from Idaho went for just under $8 thousand, and broke 98. Randy said one of the Club members funded $15 thousand added money to anyone who broke 100 straight on Sunday, and in the auction after the two wild cards were drawn, several other wild cards were drawn for cash, with one participant receiving $5000 when his number was picked.

Vernal really knows how to put on an exciting event. I'll bet that the interest will be even higher next year.

20. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mike must have been sandbagging, in Butte he only managed a 96 . As well as Jerry. I would watch these two in the future. LOL

Sounds like a bunch of fun......Rickyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.