1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1/2 inch aluminum I beam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? If I could find something 1/2" (or even 7/16") wide by 1/2" tall, it would be the perfect raw mat'l to make a light weight add-on rib from. I can't find anything even close, just stuff thats much larger. For some reason its stuck in my mind that I came across something like this before, but I've been searching the internet for 3 hours and haven't come up with anything close.

2. rocko

rocko Member

Try this

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-h-bars/=g236ht

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Check with a hobby shop?

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I have a couple sources here in the Detroit area. There is one company that buys surplus and resells to the public. How long a piece do you need? How many pieces? What is your price range? Send me a PM with all your specifics.
    Chuck

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Local hardware store.

6. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Try www.smallparts.com
    They have a vast assortment- might have to buy bigger and cut down

7. skeet_man

Rocko- Thanks, looked there. Everything for the H bars is still way too big.

BBB- Looked at my local one, only thing close is in brass and way too small.

Chuckie- I'd need @ least 30" long. I would like that the cost should be around $20 for something like this.

BigM- Never seen anything close to this at any of the local hardware stores I frequent.

Bentley- Will look there, thats one place that I've bought from before that I didn't think to look at.

8. steele

steele TS Member

So, what you want is 1/2" X 1/2" square stock? Try Wallace Metals, Pgh, PA
    412-323-9770. I buys lots of aluminum items for building trade show displays.
    They have 1/2" x 1/2" x 36" for $40. $20 to ship it. Ask for Willie. I just talked to him. Butch from Pgh

9. skeet_man

Close, but not quite. I want 1/2"x 1/2" aluminum I beam, not square stock. I beam would be significantly lighter for the same height and width.

10. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Aluminum being rather soft it can be worked with woodworking equipment - I think you could buy 1/2 X 1/2 square stock and mill it into an I-beam on a router table- use good hold downs to ensure a uniform cut

11. skeet_man

Thats not a bad idea. Now to find someone w/ a router table :)

12. steele

steele TS Member

What you want is called an extrusion. Lots of companies make this stuff in some really weird configurations. Something as light as you want, might be difficult to find. Like Bently said, you might try to machine it yourself.
    Harbor Freight has a cheap set of mill cutters that would work on a standard drill press & would easily do aluminum. You would have to have sometype of moving machine table, but you can do it if you're carefull.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

sometimes it costs more to do it yourself than to just buy.

14. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

You can contact Tiernay metals in Los Angeles and they can tell you the name of a distributor that can sell it to you. The Tierney catalog calls them "H" beams, not "I" beams. Here's their info:

http://business.highbeam.com/company-profiles/info/c1703360/tiernay-metals-inc

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm sure Trident Metals would have or will get it for you, but you will need to buy the whole stick, probably 20 or 24 ft

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I'll check for you tomorrow. If available I'll let you know.
    Chuck

17. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Try looking for aluminum trim pieces that join frp panels together. Try www.marlite.com and look at frp trim. Start with pc# F565. We use these H trim pieces and would probably be a good starting piece. Might also try a larger drywall supplier.

18. high 2

high 2 Member

Ian, I've got a Bridgeport that I could mill out a piece of 1/2 square for you Can you not buy one made fit to try? Larry

19. skeet_man

My biggest problem is weight. I have a 1/4" delrin rib right now, which weighs 2oz. My gun is already at very nearly 11lb, and I don't want to add a fraction of an ounce more if I can help it (if adding more rib means adding more weight, I'll stick with what I have). I'm not sure a regular aluminum rib could be hollowed out enough to get the weight where I need it, and even if it could, I'd be looking at something in the $300-$400 range. I was hoping if there was something relatively close to being ready made, it would be significantly lower in cost.

If I had access to a mill, I could make exactly what I want/needed, but alas I don't have access right now.

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Skeet Man,

I have a solution that will work long enough for you to prove that the "new rib" concept will pan out. What is the width and depth of the groove that will run down each side of the 1/2" x 1/2" bar stock?

Kit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1 inch aluminum i beam
1 inch h beams

1 inch i beam

1 inch ibeam
1-inch i beam
1inch i beam