1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1/2 grain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Hello I am back I weight the powder and it is a 1/2 light should be 12grs and it is only 11 1/2 should I worry about this or should I ream it out until it is 12gr. Is this dangerous?
    Pete

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Leave it.

Neil

3. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Shoot it and see if your happy, most times even a full grain light doesn't show up as noticable!

Al Lingham

4. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Huh? Does this belong in an existing conversation (thread)?

EE

5. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

EE,

I'm with you, Lost!

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

He was concerned about shot weight in an earlier thread.

7. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am trying to make sure I don't build a problem shell. These are for my granddaughters and I was told you could do damage if you don't have the prefect amount. I don't want to kill them.
    Pete

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Oy vey. HMB

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have no disagreement with my friends who say that 0.5 grain light powder drop is not significant. But, I strive to reload the very best shells possible. For me, a variance of .3 grains the the maximum I would allow. I have a file to open bushings and finger nail polish to reduce bushings. I use both. Being a little more precise may not make a functional difference in my shells, but it does make a mental difference to me. When I put a shell in my gun, I want to have full confidence in that shell.

Pat Ireland

10. Neil Winston

I used to think as Pat, in fact I have a passel of modified MEC bushings with tiny
    corrections drilled into them and dutifully labeled. Some little lathe work and I'd have a 33.3 bushing which I would then hand-label complete with its intended powder drop - 18.6 Green Dot for example.

As time passed, three things happened.

1. I opened new powder and the last part, the match between the bushing and powder weight didn't work anymore. Now 33.3 wasn't 18.6 and I have to either find a match or make yet another one to handle this case, and then the next, and next, and so on.

2. My inductive chronograph and pressure gun told me that the absolute limit for telling anything was about 0.3 grains, that is, there was no way to ever tell 18.6 grains of Green Dot from 18.8 and

3. When I finally did track down that perfect bushing, and dropped the longed-for 18.6 grains, the speed and pressure were as likely to be different as the same. The whole thing had been a delusion; all this work had not led me to perfection, only "close," because "close" is all the the nearer you can get.

The modified bushings gather dust with the Universal Charge Bars, discarded for the same reason, though in defense of micro-bushings I have to say that at least they worked.

Neil

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Or, if you're going to worry that much about it, buy factory ammo. Or buy them Barbie dolls.

Still, this would have made more sense if it were appended to the previous thread.

EE

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

1/2 grain in shotgun can be less effect than the crimp pressure in shells that were reloaded a few times, and a high deviation in FPS is not unusual even with carefully assembled loads. At least that's what I found.

More than 1/2 and I would correct things. A lighter load than you expected would not have much effect, probably about 2 inches difference in lead on a 30 inch pattern.

Rifle shooting is a different matter. In some cases a tenth is too much difference.

HM

13. Neil Winston

Bakergun, though I trust we have assuaged your worries, you have raised mine.

What kind of powder leads to such an ultra-light powder weight?

Does it work? All the time - not leaving a wad in the barrel now and then, for example, and so posing a far greater danger than anything we have imagined so far.

What are you trying to do - specifically - and why? OK they are grandkids, but shooters all over the world just shoot standard light loads. Light loads - 3/4 ounce for example - are a tradeoff and cost targets, especially if you are not really, really good shots. Are you sure you are not putting together a load which will make shooting less, not more, fun?

Neil

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Good points, Neil. Back when my son was small, I played around with some 3/4oz. loads in 20ga. I was using International Clays. Hodgdon data called for about 12 gr., but even though they claimed it was over 10,000psi, the shell would not cycle an 1100LT. I quit screwing around with them and went back to regular 7/8oz. loads, and had a Wenig stock made to fit him. The stock made a much bigger difference.

EE

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

But, my mental confidence in a shell could be more important than what is actually in the shell. In the past I have looked at a sloppy, loose crimp on a shell and I wondered if the shell was any good. It rarely was good, not because the shell did not fire properly but because I was concerned about the shell and not the target. I plan to stay with my 0.3 grain variance because it seems important to my less than perfect mind.

I also think it is critical for me to begin each post with the shell in my box that corresponds with the number of the post. On post three, I will always use the third shell in the row first, on post five, I start with the fifth shell. Is it possible to logically explain my illogical behavior?

Pat Ireland

16. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Neil
    All I am Trying to do is to load a soft recoil load for them something they can handle. I under stand the frustration off missing so I will start them on stationary targets. I load light loads for my wife but they are to much. These are small girls 8 years old, both 60 pounds soaking wet I don't want to discouragers their wanting to shoot.

EE
    That is the load I am working with right now for them. and I don't want you to take this wrong because it is not meant to be taken wrong,I do buy them Barbie Dolls. I fell that first an foremost they should be ladies first. Just like Annie Okley was

17. Neil Winston

baker, lots of 20 gauge guns, because of their lightness and generally different design and fit from "trapguns" end up kicking worse than their larger, heavier, and purpose-made 12 gauge brethren. I see it all the time in AIM and SCTP. Kids with small-gauge break-opens getting well and truly whacked while kids on the same squad, with trapguns, just get a nudge. You should at least try shooting the guns yourself to see if they are really what you want _anyone_ to shoot.

Neil

18. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Neil
    I went out and bought them a Essort 20 ga auto its gas operated. It works great with these loads.
    Pete

19. Neil Winston

Looks fine to me, baker. You may want to build up the stocks a bit with moleskin® to locate their eyes solidly, but otherwise it looks like you are on the right track.

Neil

20. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Thank Neil for all your help
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.