1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/8th of 8 1/2's ugly crimp

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lostbrd, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostbrd

lostbrd Member

loading 17grn 700x, cb 1 1/8 wad and sts hull. I always get a concaved crimp and lately a couple poofers (1 out of 2 or 3 hundred)Does anyone load this using a 1 oz wad with an ounce and an eighth of shot. I never have a problem with 7 1/2 or 8. I load on a sl 900.
    Thanks, Jason

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Remington uses the 1 oz TGT-12 wad in handicap loads. I've tried it several times but have always come back to the slightly-concave crimps that sometimes occur with Figure 8 wads. I cut some shells down the side that I has used the TGT wad in and found the wad partially collapsed with the other components I was using.

Morgan

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Check your wad guide fingers!!

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I've never been able to explain it but I can load 500 STS hulls on a P/W 900, all in the same session, and about 1/3 of them will have concave crimps, 1/3 will have flat crimps with a curl in the center and 1/3 will have factory-looking crimps. I'm sure it's a slight variation in the hulls but I've never been able to identify anything I think is significant.

Morgan

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Capt. Remington has always had an issue with varying lengths on theie shell casings!!

6. lostbrd

lostbrd Member

I guess my thought was that the 8 1/2 size shot compacted more than the 7.5. Maybe didn't fill up as high?

7. Robb

Robb Member

I think you will find that the gold STS hulls vary less in OAL than the green ones. Don't know why.

8. nipper

nipper TS Member

Morgan,

Here is what i have discovered---the pre-crimp hole size is very very important,i make sure it is about the size of a pencil eraser any bigger or smaller and i will get the same results as you describe on my 2000 machine. also you can microadjust the taper and debth ram as well.

Bill

9. PW

PW Member

I have a Mec 9000 and have the same problem so what I did to fix it was lower my starter crimp down a couple turns until the shells came out like new.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

As far as reloading with P/W, I always recommend a 45ยบ pre-crimp, which is about the above suggestion of a pencil erasure-sized hole, or a bit less.

May be important to know what reloader we are talking about here.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

11. lostbrd

lostbrd Member

thanks for all the input

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's usualy a wad problem. Try some different wads.

13. shot410ga

Buy an adjustable charge bar, and adjust your shot charge to give you a good crimp.

14. shot410ga

flincher10 You are a sissy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.