1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1-1/8oz @ 1090 fps #8 shot.... good singles load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Looking for a load to maximize the chance of shooting a perfect score in singles. Recoil calculator shows that the subject load is almost the same recoil as 1oz at 1180 fps. What are your thoughts on 1-1/8oz @ 1090fps of #8's for singles?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Perfect!! I prefer just a hair more velocity but have shot a very similar load to what you stated. You will like it but i don't know if it will gain you more targets. You have to do that part yourself. 100 perfectly placed shots.

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You will find out that your load will work quite well. You would be surprised how soft you can load a shell and still mash a target. I use 1100 fps for 16's and 900 for first shot in doubles. Handicap and second shot in doubles requires a bit more, 1150 or so. Like grntitan said, good shot placement.

4. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

"Like grntitan said, good shot placement."

OK, now what if I use #8-1/2 shot instead of #8's, in this 1090fps load, and I use slightly less choke so that I can be not quite so perfect with shot placement but still break all of the targets?

Not looking for 100 smoke balls, just 100 broken targets.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have played around and used 9's for sixteens. Worked fine plus you could drop back to 1oz. I do like your 8½'s better. Put the full choke (.030) in and leave it. "Kiner says choke for smoke,"

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Friend, there are no short cuts. If there were, we would all be All American's. Only thing you will gain by switching from 8's to 8 1/2's, is slightly more pellets but of a smaller size with less target breaking energy(doesn't affect it much from 16yds.). You will still need 100 perfectly placed shots.

P.S. I prefer 8 1/2's for 16 yd targets but i can't say they have gained me much. Mostly in my head.

Good Luck. It's fun to play with the different combination of loads and see what works for your gun and you. You may discover a load you really like and shoot well.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

1 oz or 1 1/8 of 8 1/2's will do wonders at 1100 or so,but, for cold weather I'd go to 8's or 7 1/2's.

8. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Why not try 1 oz. of #8 1/2's @ 1150 fps for 16 yds, and the first shot on doubles? The loading manuals are full of good recipes, and the recoil is very mild. I've shot 7/8 oz. of #8's from the 16 yd. line for the past 2 years through .30 thou choke, and my average has actually gone up. 1-1/8 oz. from 16 yds. is way overkill, at least for me. Just the opinion of a middle of the road duffer.

Mike

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I second the 1 oz load, Recoil will cost you more targets than a few pellets. I use 1 oz for everything., I wish the ATA would mandate them.

10. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Remington once published a formula for a clone of their light recoil 1 1/8 oz loads. Here's a cut and paste from that data sheet:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

I've used it and it's a great shooting load.

Mike K

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

OK, you asked how do you maximize the chances to break more targets..
    I've got the secret answer of almost every champion trapshooter...

2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 #8's.....(1150 fps)

edited for correct velocity.. thanks Don...

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A tad light and a tad slow.

I think you will find more 100's have been broke with 1 1/8 of 8's at 1150 fps, than any other load. If your gun has much recoil with that then you got other problems.

But you are going to get every light load expert on the site giving you advice. You should ask them how many 100's they have broke with it and if they are truthful you find not many.

There is no short cuts to a 100 and most of them are lost between your ears.

Don

13. Shawn

Shawn Member

Tractorboy
    I shot a lot of Federal Extra lites this summer with good success both 7.5 and 8's.

They are 1 &1/8th @ 1100 fps. Find a load you like and go for it.

I also shot a lot of Winchesters AA going 1145 fps both 7.5 and 8 and they are a nice shell also.

Thanks

Shawn

14. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

tractorboy, this year my shoulder got real bad, so i started shooting 1 1/8 oz at 1000 fps. almost no recoil. thoght my scores would dive, but they didnt. one week i shot a tournament on sun, practice on thur & sat, and went straight all three times. never did that before. not as much smoke, but sure saved alot of shoulder pain...milt luther

15. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Hey Space Gun, why would you want the ATA to mandate 1oz loads?

what is your reasoning?

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What powder are you using? I found with powders like Red Dot and 700X at 1090 fps. the pressures were at 8500 to 8600 psi. While it is published data, the powder burn was inconsistent so were the patterns.

Wayne

17. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"A tad light and a tad slow."</I>

Horse-hocky... factory 1 1/8 oz 1150 fps loads vary by as much as the difference between 1080s and 1150s.

<I>"I think you will find more 100's have been broke with 1 1/8 of 8's at 1150 fps, than any other load."</i>

You probably will. But that load has been around a long time, longer than it's taken people to accept that you don't need a supersonic cannonball to break a clay at 40 yards. Heck, in some places all you can buy is 1 1/8oz 2 3/4 DE.

<I>"But you are going to get every light load expert...giving you advice. You should ask them how many 100's they have broke with it and if they are truthful you find not many."</i>

That's nothing but an unfounded, unsubstantiated speculation!

How would you guess that number would compare to the number of people who shoot 1 1/8 oz loads who have never broken 100 either?

<I>"There is no short cuts to a 100..."</I>

Now that's a true statement!

Mike K

18. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I was testing a gun yesterday - perhaps to purchase (34 inch BT99, full choke). The owner provided two boxes reloads that he said were chronographed at 1250fps (#7 1/2 and 1 1/8 ounce). He wanted to demonstrate how well the recoil pad worked.

I broke a fair number with the reloads, and did a little better using factory B&P Competition One shells with #7 1/2, one ounce, an 1160 fps.

I must report that I was surprised that I smoked the clays with the B&P, only breaking a similar number (20 to 22) with the larger reloads.

I tested two boxes of each. Same trap, same puller, same gun/choke, similar squad mates. I am convinced that I break the same number of clays with far more authority using the B&P shell.

I'm scanning Dr. Jones' book for a scientific explanation. Until I find it, I'm hypothesizing that the lower force and smaller load resulted in less distortion and spreading of the shot - thereby delivering a more dense pattern of high energy shot to the clay. When I was dead on, the clay turned to dust. When I was off, I was satisfied with a few large pieces.

I also shot 23 yards for the first time yesterday and used the B&P shells. I broke the first four. I'm certainly not skilled at yardage - YET - but I an fairly certain I'll be using the 1 ounce loads.

If nothing else, I decided against investing in a new Spolar setup. Instead, I'll get more B&P.

19. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

One once ,or an ounce and a eighth. Just put the shot on the target, it will not matter. I like one ounce for the lack of recoil. I have never broke 100 straight with a one once load. I have broke several 100's with an ounce and an eighth. Your chances are better with an ounce and a eighth. But I am kinda hard headed, I am going to shoot some 7/8 ounce next year. But I think you have to run them about 1300 fps to have a chance.I am not all american material. I shoot this game for fun on the weekends. So I recomend - shoot what you want, and go out and have some fun. Don't think to much and you will break 100 straight.And when you do, its a good feeling !

20. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Pull Pull said "I have never broke 100 straight with a one once load. I have broke several 100's with an ounce and an eighth"

Your experience sounds like mine. I have all of my registered targets recorded on an excel spreadsheet going back to 1990 complete with notes on each tournament about what load I shot.

I once ran 457 targets straight in 1998 and had several 100's that year. All were shooting 1-1/8oz @ 1145fps factory AA's. I also shot 1oz factory AA's in tournaments and although I had about the same average, I did not shoot any 100's that year with them.

I had no problem with recoil in 1998, but at age 69 now, I don't seem to be able to handle the recoil of factory 1-1/8 @ 1145fps. That is why I was considering 1090fps loads.

I'm still working to get my new PFS dialed in.....maybe then I can go back to 1145fps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke size for 1090fps trap load