1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1-1/8 wads for AA HS hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I've been loading AA HS hulls using Red Dot with 1 oz of shot. I have found that Duster or Downrange wads are a little shorter than the Winchester or CB and work much better. Is the same thing true with wads for a Red Dot / 1-1/8 oz load?

Thanks

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno, but I have had no problems with Red Dot and any of those wads but I use the designated wad for 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz and don't try to mix them up ??

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Work much better? In what way?

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I can't speak to 1 1/8 oz loads but I agree that the DR wads (XL-1 and DRA-12 (pink/red) fit the new hulls better with Clay Dot than the CB 1100-12.

The CB clones of the WAA12SL wads were modeled after the older, longer WAASL12 and the new AA 2-piece hulls have a little less internal capacity. Downrange has molded both the XL1 and the DRA12 so they fit the new AA hulls with bulky powder like ClayDot without compressing the wad when crimping it.

Side by side, the XL1 is 1/16" shorter than the CB 1100-12 while the DRA12 pink is a full 1/8" shorter.

Carol Lister

5. wlc

wlc Member

The DRXL-1 and Green Duster are shorter than the corresponding Winchester and Claybuster wads. The shorter wads provide enough space for the shot and crimp better. I haven't loaded any of the HS hulls with 1-1/8 shot and wondered if there are problems with insufficient volume resulting in crimps that try to open up.

6. Borderland

Borderland Member

Claybuster has put out info that their new AA clones have a tapered base to better accomodate the base wad of AAHS hull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aa-hs wad recommendations

best wad for new aa hulls

best wad for winchester hs hull
wad for winchester aa hs hulls

wads for winchester 12 ga hs hulls

what wad to use with winchester aa hs hull
winchester wads for 12ga hs hulls