1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/8 v. 7/8 oz load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I asked someone at our club today why would you use 7/8 oz load v. 1 1/8 oz if the heavier load gives you more chances to hit the bird?

He told me that the extra shot in a 1 1/8 oz load actually trails the shot pattern so you don't really get much of a benefit from the extra shot unless you've shot well in front of the target - which is unlikely to happen.

Do you agree?

What size shot load do you shoot regularly?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The first is total hogwash. Every word.

I shoot 8's or 7 1/2's. Or 9's if I'm pretty close. I've never found it makes much difference.

Neil

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Boy...when the sh!t is thick, it's really thick, isn't it boys?

4. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I've shot 410 and it comes down to if you'll dead on it,it take very little shot, the extra is for safety if you'll in the ball park..

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

You cannot be serious. Did we mention, we're talking about TRAPshooting, here?

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

glenns- Your friend is under the mistaken impression that shot much of the shot in the "shot string" is wasted. This is incorrect. At 35 yards, the target has slowed down to about 50 ft/sec (35 MPH). The shot has slowed to around 1000 ft/sec. The target will move very little between the time the first and last shot in the string pass the target. In a practical sense, the two dimensional pattern we see on paper is the pattern that passes over the target, shot string can be totally ignored.

Pat Ireland

7. oz

oz Active Member

7/8ths is what they use for international trap, use 2 oz you won't beat those guys. if you are on the target it does not matter. Also break it or smoke it it is still dead. oz

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

glenns, I shoot 7/8 oz loads for practice, and often for singles. I have about 9,000 wads to use up, and it saves money on shot. When I am on target, there is zero difference in breaks between 7/8oz and 1 1/8oz. loads. They both produce all smoke.

When I'm a little off, the 1 1/8oz loads perform better. There is more shot in the larger load, and the patterns are denser. That is the same reason I use 8s for everything. There is a noticeably greater amount of smoke generated using 8s from the 27 than from using 7 1/2s. So when it counts, I use 1 1/8oz #8.

9. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

I just love it when some expert says "if you are on the target it does not matter". Hello, this is why we used shotguns instead of rifles in this sport- nobody is perfectly on the target every time.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

try both and see, heck take half of each mix them up and go shoot.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

oz- They actually shoot 1 3/4 ounces of shot at one target in international (7/8 oz X 2).

Pat Ireland

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

NSRailroad, I too shoot a lot of 410. And when I'm "dead on it" I really blow 'em up with the 410. But I also miss with the 410, so I know I'm not always "dead on it". And I miss a lot more with the 410 than I do with a 12 gauge. That tells that when I'm not exactly "dead on it" I can still break them with the 12 gauge. Sometimes I'm just off by a little bit, and the extra shot can get you a targets then.

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

1 1/8 ounces of shots gives you an edge over 7/8 ounce. Just a fact. The farther back you go the more of an edge it gives you.

14. glenns

glenns Member

Seems to be the consensus that 1 1/8 is advantageous over 7/8 which I have to agree with.

Thanks.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If I miss a target with 7/8 oz, I'd likely have missed it with the 1 1/8 oz load as well. If I hit the target and it breaks, it doesn't matter how much shot there was out there, since it was enough to do the job. That said, I shoot a LOT of 1 oz loads and will do the 7/8 oz for practice and skeet, plus the first shot of doubles. Somehow, I still have the impression that 1 1/8 oz for caps is the way to go, although my scores are about equal between the 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads. I use 1 oz for practice at caps more often than not.

I think your friend is a bit off base with his logic.

I prefer #8 shot for most shooting. 7/8 oz will usually be 8 1/2 or even 9s for the close up work. Cold weather 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz will often be 7 1/2, as would the "Back Fence" loads.

16. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

There is a reason 1 1/8 is the standard load. Your buddy at the club sounds like he might make a good politician though.

BK

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Which would you rather have? A $20 bill, or a $10 bill? Can't decide? Ask your Wife.... She knows the answer!!

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

For really good shooter in competition, the extra 1/4 oz could make the difference between 99 and 100. For the rest of us it probably matters little.

Robert

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I for one would like to see Mr Irelands 1 3/4oz load on a patterning board. That analogy's becoming an exercise in desperation.

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I want to go on record for recommending the 7/8 ounce load be mandatory for everyone.............except me. ;)

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.