1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/8 of 7 1/2 weight????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AAtrap, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

My 1 1/8---7 1/2 bushing is dropping 480.5 gr. of shot with a 353 pellet count. If I recall correctly, isn't this a little light? Load on a Hornady DL-366. Thanks--Steve

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

My hornady scale lists 1 1/8 at 492.2 and my busing drops 501 so you are light but it is only going to amount to being 3-7 pellets maybe.The folks at pw told me their drop numbers are based on pure lead and dont worry about a few pellets and dont worry about trying to come up with a bushing to drop exact numbers,so i am not concerned with it.

Bill

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are about 11.5 grains (9 pellets) short. I doubt that would cause a problem.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, it's a bit light - shud be count of 388 pellets and 492 grains but it's certainly not far enough off to make one whit of difference. You don't say which loading equipment but it's common knowledge that MEC will be on the conservative side with their bars and bushings just to ensure not setting every tyro up with a possible overload. If I was getting your results, I'd ignore it. If I couldn't resist my ingrained analosity, I'd try opening up the bushing and/or bar very carefully with sand paper. Then, remember that how you operate the loader will possibly change your drops and their consistency. With firm and consistent operation, would you be happy with 10 more pellets and 488 grains??...breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Oops, you did mention the Hornady but my thoughts remain....BD

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Guess I was thinking that I was some 30 pellets short. I dropped, wieghed 3 loads. two @ 353 pellets and one 352 pellets.

Bob, I am loading 18.2 gr. of titewad, Rem. 209, DRW XL-1 in a Nitro 27 case from a Hornady DL-366. This is going to be a test load. I will load the same components also with the new DRW-TGT wad. Thanks for the replies. STeve

7. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

My one once MEC charge bar threw 26gm loads. I picked up the adjustable version and set it for 1oz. My main reason for getting the adjustable version was to be able to have more control over the powder charges, not the shot charges.

Mike

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Steve, try loading with a fairly aggressive stroke, hitting bottom firmly and hold the stroke for a count of 1 or 2. Then weigh some results at random out of the middle of 20 loads or during a normal session of loading. See if that increases the numbers just a tad. Some folks will rush the stroke and possibly not get the full results of filling bushings/bars. Compare consistency with those loads too; my pellet weight can vary 5 to 10 grains from sample to sample. But, really, I'd not worry much with what you're getting.

MIA - Punch 1 for Spanish; 2 for English; or 3 for coined! My motto.....Bob Dodd

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

AAtrap, your pellets are (about) 7 1/4 rather than the 7 1/2 you expect. It happens a lot and doesn't seem to make any difference in the long run.

Neil

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Please tell me what brand of shot this is and whether it is magnum or not! Thanks, Tom Rhoads (Neil mentioned shot is on large size, but it also could be chilled or low antimony.) We need to know brand of shot.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Tom, the effect of magnum vs chilled shot is often over-estimated. When weights are equal, hard shot has about 10 more 7 1/2's in a load than chilled. But shot is dropped by volume, and here there's no difference in pellet numbers - eight's are wights, hard or soft.

If you compared the weights of equal volumes, you'd find the hard shot light by 10 grains or so, about a percent and a quarter.

In short, the only thing that explains AA's low pellet count is larger-than-expected pellets.

Neil

12. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

tcrll46, The brand of shot is some older All Amerian hard shot that I picked up from a quy that quit shooting some yrs. ago. I will probably end up loading and shooting Remington #8's. Will see after more testing. Steve

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well the people who are telling you the extra 7,8,11, etc. pellets do not make much difference are right. Of those extra pellets, one one will be in the path the target takes through the shot string. Since a good load will hit the target with an average of 5 pellets, you increase your chances of an actual hit by 1/8th of a pellet for each firing. Not much of a difference, is it?

That being said, I have a healthy dose of BDodd's analosity, and I reamed my bushings to throw the correct weight of West Coast Magnum shot. It makes me feel better, even though I know it doesn't make a damned bit of difference to my scores.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Think of all the money you're saving by not loading that full 1-1/8 ounce load!

15. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Guess you have something there Tim.

zzt, I had my 1 oz. busing reamed to throw exactly 1 oz. of Remington shot. Didn't really think so, but guess I'm with the analosity group. LOL Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

492 grains shot