1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/8 loads with Green Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Being new to reloading, I'm trying to find a good 1 1/8, 1150 - 1200 fps load with low pressure. After studying many different load specs I think I have decided on going with AA hulls, win 209 primers, Green dot Powder and Windjammer wads. Recipes indicate even at 1200 fps the pressures are very low, around 9000psi. Would like to know if I've made a good choice. Seems like good combination of components for making light to standard loads, for singles, handicape ect...

Thanks for your feedback...

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

How much powder do you plan to use. I use the same components for my favorite load and use 19.5 grains of green dot. What had you planned to use. Jackie B.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would have to say that you could do a lot worse. It sounds just fine to me, as long as you use the exact components listed in the data. I use a slightly different set of components and it is probably more a matter of choice and preference. Just be sure to weigh your powder drops, since the bushing charts usually do not agree with reality.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

use 18.5 grains of Green Dot. That's all it takes to break 'em from 27 yards.

5. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

The Alliant website says 19 for 1145 fps and 21 for 1200 fps. Your 19.5 seems like a good place to be. Not sure why it would take 2 grains to go 55 fps. Seems like alot. But then again I'm just a beginner. 19.5 is probably where I will start. By the way how do you think this load will work in cold weather. say 20 degrees? Thanks...

6. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

With regard to the bushing/weighing suggestion, your point is well taken, I bought a good digital scale and went with a universal charge bar for my Mec jr to eliminate the need to mess around with bushings. Thanks...

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I just got done loading and shooting 22.5 of GD with STS shells and CB4118 wads. I've backed it off a bit to 21.1 and am still smoking them at 16 a lot and breaking them good at 21. Nice powder to work with as it has a wide range of loads. Jim

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

myevh3

19.0 - 19.5 would be a good start. I have used a similar load and tested the velocities at 75 degrees and at aboout 10 degrees. The load was still pretty consistant when cold and lost only a minimal amount of velocity. The only difference between my load and yours was the wad. I have used about 18.7, 19.6 grains and 20.5 grains in the STS and AA hulls. The Winchester primers seem to work just fine in the cold. I don't care for the Windjammer Wads, since the eight petal styles are a pain in the butt on my loaders. In your load, I'd probably prefer the Red Versalite wads. It's just a matter of personal preference. A lot of people seem to like the Windjammers, so you might do very well with them. I think you are on the right track with your load. Just be sure not to load too many, until you get a chance to try some out. If the cold weather performance is an issue, put half a box in the freezer and keep a half box at room temp. Shoot the ones from the freezer while still cold and see if you notice a difference between the two groups of shells. Listen for a difference in sound as well. If you have access to a chronograph, it will give you a better idea.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Don,t let pressure frighten you . Pressure makes powder burn and burn clean . To many reloaders work to shoot a low pressure load and that is not all to the good . Green Dot need pressure to burn clean . I,v been told Green Dot is dirty if the pressure is 9,500 or more it,s as clean as most powders . Pressure does not mean recoil

10. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

i have tried that same load, 19.5 grains. it is a little dirty in the barrel , works better with a little more powder,20.5 to 21.5. green dot is a good handicap load,therefor more speed is better. check your reloading manual it will tell you what to use.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm in agreement with all you guys mostly. I like the 19.5 in a STS hull andmy loads book at 1200 on my chrono. The only place i differ is I keep my loaded shells warm and never fret about MN winters.

My fave load now is 19 gr and 1-1/16 oz lead. Books downrange at about 1225. Primers in the STS dont' seem to matter much, And I use a 1 oz green wad.
    [​IMG]

12. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

Quack Shot

What makes the windjammers difficult to load? I have not tried them yet. Do you think loading them with a Mec Jr 600 will be aggrivating for a new reloader?

Thanks...

13. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

MIA, thanks for making me slobber all over myself as I viewed your reloader. Nice rig. Makes my 250 Pacific look weak. But I do love my old girl. Jim

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

xringjim. Two features I really like about the PW. 1) excellent even powder drops all the way down to the baffle, and 2) the crimps are tight and all the same. Net result is lods that evenly chronograph and trustworthy patterns. My last MEC had to be "futzed" with all the time and the hulls had to be held in place with gentle hand pressure up to the wad insertion. Otherwise I had jams. Adn the pW ill have an occasional primer miss, but only about 1 every 500. I do lose the powder and the hull, but nothign has to stop rolling, you just keep pummping out loads and do not box the bullet with out a primer.

I do visual inspection of the finished product as I stack in my MEC stackers.

15. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Green Dot is my 1 1/8 powder. I have settled on using 20 grains with the Blue Duster wads in WW or Rem hulls. Very happy with the results.
    John

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is not my number one load but I do like it. 21.5 green dot, Fed paper hull, fed 209 and a windjammer wad for 27- 35 yds

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Myevh-

Windjammers arent hard to load. Sometimes you have to pay a little attn to make sure all the fingers are around the drop tube. I load them all the time on a mec 600 Jr.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

myevh3

I load large volumes on progressive machines. Even on the 600jr, the petals can get caught in the shot drop tube and and you need to use more care (time) to ensure they are all in the proper place. I'd rather deal with four sturdy petals rather than eight flimsy ones. It's just one less thing to worry about. I did a little testing of some Windjammer loads and they performed well enough, but the "wandering petals" during the loading process was a deal killer. There was no advantage in using them, other than a slightly lower pressure than some comparable wads.

As stated by others, Green Dot works best when the pressure is high enough for a consistent burn. Most powders are affected by that to some extent. The load you are looking at should be fine. Keep it over about 8000 PSI and you'd not need to worry about it in ANY weather. I shoot an 1100 and have shot over 1000 Green Dot loads before cleaning. STS with 19.5 grains of powder, Winchester Primer, Versalite Wad, 1 1/8 oz of shot. I couldn't do THAT with some other powders and loads, including some that were supposed to be the cleanest burning powders. Don't let it worry you.

19. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I really like GD for my 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 load. I use 19.5 gr. in STS hulls, DRRF8 wads and Fiocchi 616 primers. Book says 1200fps, they work for me even when I'm shooting in 10 degree weather up here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best green dot trap load
how much wad pressure using green dot powder
reloading sts hulls with green dot
reloading sts hullswith green dot and fed12s3 wads

windjammer wads and green dot