1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/8 Loads and Self-Esteem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Reading the many postings re: the choice of loads for trap, a troublesome issue has come to light.

One thing I dislike about shooting heavy loads (1 1/8) vs. 1 oz. or 7/8 is that I sometimes think that when I break a target with the heavier 1 1/8 oz. load, the break only occurred because of the additional pellets in the load. It is a self-esteem issue which I am sure many have based on comments re: loads on this forum. Why do I (or any trapshooter for that matter) just have to depend on using the heavy shot load to make up for lack of skill to obtain lucky breaks? These breaks would probably not occur if a 1 oz. or - worse - 7/8 oz. load had been used. Are others only breaking targets they do because they use the heaviest loads possible with the highest pattern percentages...and resist lighter loads for fear of failure? Think about it. See, and some think trapshooting is not a thinking man's game. Best Regards, Ed

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It's all a mind thing! Seeing as Trapshooting is 95% mental, IMO, you can see what kind of affect it has on your scores.

The rest is being able to mount the gun and move the barrel a foot or so, technique, wind, rain, wads, powder, primers, hulls, choke, barrel length, forcing cones, adjustable combs, adjustable ribs, weight balance of the gun, amount of light, what you ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the day before, how the birds are set, etc. Wait, some of these are related to the mind thing, but may affect physical capabilities.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to think a brain is required, not the amount of shot you put in your shells. HMB

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like to shoot 1 1/8 oz. loads of shot (8's on warm days and 7 1/2's on cold, windy and/or wet days) at 1125 fps because the recoil sensation feels "just right" and I know that the 1 1/8 oz load will get the job done.

Like Forrest Gump says, "That's one less thing to worry about."

I was taught that "It takes a dummy to shoot trap" No thoughts whatsoever - just shoot by instinct.

Ed Ward

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can miss a target with any load. If you are getting target breaks that are weak then you are about to miss - the shell is probably not the reason (until you get near the back line)

All that being said, I fing the 1 1/8 Oz shell do smoke targets better than lesser shot charges and I have shot tens of thoushands of 1 OZ handloads.

6. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

for singles my scores have improved with a one ounce shot. Its save me money and I can tell a difference with the recoil. I dont notice any difference with my breaks. I have been doing a 1oz load with a full choke. It seems to make me concentrate more, but I am sure its all just mental.

7. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

In the "old days" Heavy or Light loads was indicative of the Black Powder Dram Equivalent. Light Loads were 2-3/4 Dram Equivalent and Heavy loads were 3 Dram Equivalent. Many folks shot Light 8s = (2-3/4 Dram Equivalent and 1-1/8 of #8 shot), for singles and heavy 7-1/2s = (3 Dram Equivalent and 1-1/8 oz of # 7-1/2 shot) for handicap.

Certainly things have changed in other areas as well. Other than Over and Under shotguns, most people with single barrels used a fixed full choke. With today's multiple chokes, great selection of quality shotguns, huge selection of ammunition choices, adjustable combs, etc. we truely live in great times and should enjoy the many, many choices we do have.

Cheers!

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Read the article on page 76.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot, Thanks for this article!! Much appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Thanks for posting that article, It was interesting to read the stats.

Oscar

11. likes-to-shoot

Before I read that article I messed around with 1oz loads but after reading it I made the switch. I have shot a few 1 1/8 loads since but I still get better breaks with the 1oz and they are more comfortable to shoot.

12. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I think its only the rules that makes you think this way.

This is my way of thinking, now im not saying its gospel but its the only way it makes sence to me.

Its not the amount of shot that makes the size of your pattern at all. The amount of shot only effects the density.

If you miss because of poor aim, and your pattern hasnt touched it, more shot will make no difference whatsoever.

If a target doesnt break because not enough pellets have hit it but your aim was true then thats a different matter, and more due to the choke pattern than the shot. You guys always seem to use tight chokes from the 16 yard so im guessing you can rule this out too.

Handicap may be the only exception to the rule. The strike power of a single pellet in your pattern is reduced at a longer range, so you need more pellets to hit it generally to break the target. This to me is the only reason you would use more shot in a load, to improve the pellet strike on the clay at distance and give it more chance of breaking within your pattern.

Here in Australia we are restricted to 1 oz loads from the 16yrd line, have been for about 15 years or more. Break records have increased, average shooters abitlity has improved greatly. Better comfort and advancements in other areas than the amount of shot in a shell are the reason.

I think of it like formula 1 racing. Each year the officials change the rules to take away some area of development as they believe things are getting either too dangerous or too unfair to the poorer teams to spend money on. Every single year the new cars are faster than the years before. Why is this? Well its the restrictions they have put in place allow the engineers to pay more attention to other un restricted areas of the car and develop other ways of making it faster.

If the ATA restricted the shot size to 1 oz, its only a matter of time before the scores will increase as people develop better, more efficient loads and shooting techniques that surpass the average scores shot currently.

The Winchester AA Lite Handicap 1oz load is very popular here in Aus, even for handicap from the 27yrd line.

13. thunder

thunder Active Member

Rick Barker I agree with you 100%.

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you don't believe reducing shot will decrease your score, take it to the extreme and try the AA feather lites. 26gram loads going 900 ft/sec. They are like shooting pop guns. It is a GREAT training device to gage your ability to point your gun. If you are off in the least bit you will end up with a miss. Going back to 1 1/8s will feel like cheating after shooting the feather lites:)

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Simple really. Scores go up as recoil goes down. If only shooters would swallow their pride and shoot gas operated autos and 1 oz loads. But then again for many shooters it is not all about score even when they say it is. And that is not just trapshooters. Many feel the need to shoot a high dollar gun even when it beats them to death. Flame away.

16. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Bad day, BAD?

17. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have shot more better scores with 7/8 or 1oz than I ever did with 1 1/8. To me it makes no difference. If you are in the 30" circle it generally doesn't matter. I found that my 7/8 loads produce a nice full pattern of pellets. Sure another 200 would make it fuller but the 7/8's still break. Never assume because you have more pellets you shot better.

18. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

All I can say is this,I use only one 1 1/8 oz load,factory & reload. Gold Medal Extra Lite usually 7 1/2. When I reload this hull using 19 PB,S-3 wad,Fed 209A with 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2,I get better breaks than if I use 1 oz & a SO wad to fill the extra space. Same powder charge/primer. Not spectacular,but noticeable. Have shot both on the same day using same gun. Tried in different guns. I will say this,I only use the 1 1/8 oz load for shoots that are important to me,like state,Grands,Zones. I use 7/8 mostly for all others.

19. likes-to-shoot

Aussie Dan...good point on the pattern density. With 1oz 8's having more pellets than 1 1/8oz 7 1/2's I believe the 8's have a better pattern at the 16 yard line. As you well know even with your stats about averages improving there are some who will never be convinced.

By the way you guys keep the gun club pictures coming, there are quite a few of us who enjoy them.

Bill

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

For 1 oz loads I like 20 grs of Promo speed is 1290 fps, I use strictly 7 1/2s
    for all line loads, I want the retained energy 7 1/2s give you. I don't want to dust any targets, I want smoke, But for the Big Shoots I want all the soldiers I can get that are big guys Meaning 7 1/2s.

I like 1 oz of #7s for game shooting @ 1300fps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.