1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1/1/4 spot check at grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i was wondering since reloads are allowed what prevents someone from shooting 1 1/4 ounce of 8 or 8 1/2. i myself would never do that. i believe in following the rules.

2. smsnyder

not really just asking

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

You can bet your sweet bippie that I'll be shooting 1 1/4 oz. since it's legal by ATA rules. The more the better.

4. smsnyder

i thought only 1 1/8 was legal

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have not seen it done in a long time, but I have had 2 shells (per 100 target event) pulled at random from my reloads sometimes at the bigger shoots. I do not know how much it is done these days. I don't get to the bigger shoots much, and that was a long time ago. It does keep people honest though. Someone might get called to show his reloads after a win. And the club should have to weight some loads if protested, Its happened before, and will probably happen again sometime. Break-em all. Jeff

6. smsnyder

prince of darkness, thats funny

7. smsnyder

i only use factory shells.

8. C H S

C H S TS Member

"i thought only 1 1/8 was legal"

The maximum allowed load is 1 1/8 oz. and the max shot size is 7 1/2. (2007 ATA Rules, Sec. 7, Sub Sec. F, Para. 3, Pg. 50)

Andy

9. smsnyder

what does this mean ? shot charges are maximum and no charge may exceed the amount of 3%? ata rule book. what is 3% of 1 1/8 ounce load?

10. smsnyder

thanks i didn't know that. interesting

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

The last rulebook the ATA sent me says that 1 1/4 oz is legal. I'm sure if the rules had changed they would have updated me.

12. smsnyder

anonymous, you better get a new rule book. what year did it say 1 1/4 ounce was legal?

13. smsnyder

how many ounces is a 3 1/2 inch shell of 8 shot. what is the pellet count? lol

14. C H S

C H S TS Member

"The last rulebook the ATA sent me says that 1 1/4 oz is legal. I'm sure if the rules had changed they would have updated me."

The ATA hasn't sent me a rule book in years. They tell me it's my responsibility to know what the rules are and they figure that since I can use a computer, I can go to their web site and read the latest rules as well as anybody else can.

Andy

15. purina

purina TS Member

The question was "what prevents someone from shooting 1 1/4 ounce of 8 or 8 1/2?"

The answer would be "common sense". An extra 1/8 ounce of 8 or 8 1/2 shot would be useless, it would produce more felt recoil and little else.

Not that I would condone cheating, but if you are going to cheat do it right. 1 1/4 ounce of copper plated 6 shot from yardage would be of some use. Just don't forget to soak the copper plated stuff in printers ink before you load it so it does not shine in the sun.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If anybody challenges, the ATA can request a shell and cut it open and weigh it.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A while back, just for fun, I loaded several boxes of the Super Pigeon Load (3 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 7 1/2) to see if my Krieghoff Unsingle and Full choke would get a better break than my regular reloads. I wanted to know.

25 gr Unique behind 1 1/4 oz of Lawrence 7 1/2's did NOT break the target any better than my 1 oz load, and the gun moved me around quite a bit. I thought I would get SUPER INKSPOTS, but did not.

The greatly increased muzzle flip would likely give the load away at a match with experienced shooters and old head shoot management. My standard load has almost no muzzle flip, as my gun is Angle Ported.

I imagine a barrel wizard such as Wilkinson could make a trap gun sing with the big load, but in the stock Krieghoff, performance was not impressive. When I was a kid, this was my preferred field load, but it kicks too hard to shoot all day with consistency.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot at many different clubs in many different states over many years. I would guess I have shot at over 100 different state shoots, 32 Grand Americans, 20 Zone shoots and at least a dozen Satellite Grands. I have never seen a shell challenged. I do not recall even the basic equipment to check shells available to shoot management. I also believe that the rules defining maximum weight and size of shot is followed by nearly all shooters. Shooter integrity is the primary enforcement of these rules and I believe it works very well.

I am aware that when Winchester first introduced their handicap load (Silver Bullets) they pushed the upper limits of our rules. There were many shooter complaints and within a year or so, the handicap loads were made milder.

Pat Ireland

19. C H S

C H S TS Member

So what are you saying, Pat? That the ATA is using deceit, deception, disinformation and trickery; that it writes laws that it has no intention or ability to enforce; that it is relying on fear and threats of sanction to maintain control?

Shoot, I thought only our government behaved like that.

Andy

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Andy- I am surprised by your attitude. We have rules. One of the rules is that we agree to abide by the remaining rules. When we make such a pledge, our word is much stronger than any type of enforcement someone else might apply. I know ways to cheat at the game of shooting trap. Other shooters know the same ways to cheat but we would never apply them. Personal integrity is the primary enforcer of our rules and, with the exception of a very few, it works well.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.