1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1-1/4 ounce for Trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Given the very real possibility that some shooter's 99s would have been 100 Straights except for a gaping hole in the pattern...

Shouldn't we lift the maximum allowed load back to 1-1/4 ounce of shot ?

For me, that would be 88s that might have been 89s.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You already have people who do it now, they just dont get caught

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I thought we are talking about going lighter loads to eliminate those endless shoot offs. LOL

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

And people say I'm a Troll.

5. TD1958

TD1958 Member

1 1/2 ouces of kentucky 9's works better. LOL Tim

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It seems you can shoot what ever you like, because there is no enforcement of the existing ATA rules regarding shot weight. HMB

7. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have seen a buddy of mine get checked at a shoot. He plays alot of games & shoots some big shells. But at that registered shoot he was shooting factory Remington handicap trap nitros.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Several years ago, for gits and shiggles, I loaded some 1200 fps 1 1/4 oz shells.

They did not give any better Trap breaks than my old 1 oz 1250 load. They DID kick.

A one time trial. 36 grams REALLY eats a bag of shot.

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Would also accelerate the onset of flinching!

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Why stop there?

Rick in MT

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

Try Internat'l Trap loads of 24 grams/ 3/4 oz shot hard 7 1/2 04 8's at 1350fps.

Bunker shooters crush hard int'l targets at 50+ yards (first shot)with these loads.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

3 1/4DE 1- 1/4# 7 was the standard trap load for many years.
    Clyde

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Just what I need! Something that is going to recoil more. ;-)

Hauxfan!

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Got to tell a little story on myself. I grew up shooting buddy shoots in Ohio and did not know what a day time or registered ubtil I was almost 16. But several years ago I loaded a real great shell for handicap in the winter time in Northeast Ohio. 18 grains of Nitro 100 in a Remington STS case, green duster wad and 1 ounce of 5's. That was one of the hardest hitting shells from the 27 I ever had. Very soft on recoil and you could draw smoke off of a target even in the coldest conditions. Won a couple of non registered money shoots and never did get checked. There was not much noise, little recoil and no one every looked twice. OK I told on myself again, just had to come clean. Merry Christmas to everyone.

Dennis DeVault

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

You're going the wrong way. When Olympic shooters went to 1 oz scores went up! They went to 7/8 oz to get the scores to go down.

T

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

The Bunker guys also introduced a one shot game for Olympics to go with doubles - and still running 100's with 24 grams.

I hunted wood pigeons many times in Ireland and England with both 28 and 24 gram 7 1/2's International loads. They will stone a wood pigeon a long way off. They will stone a clay from 27 yards and stone a much harder international clay target at 60 yards...

The primary adjustment I had to make for all trap was to go to a tight IM or F for both barrels.

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to forget that the format changed in Bunker, along with the payload weight. From 1.25-1.125-1.0-.846 ounces. Must have been brutal shooting 200 Int'l birds with 1.25 loads at 1350 ft/sec!

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

drgondog, what is the "one shot game" you refer to?

19. drgondog

drgondog Member

eightbore - the Internat'l Trap now includes competition in 'standard bunker -single target but two shots permitted per target', Doubles, and 'standard bunker - single target but only one shot permitted'. The latter is used for shoot offs also at the Gold, Silver, Bronze finalist stage.

The ISU always does this when straights are broken routinely. Went from 1 1/4 to 3/4 oz within about 10 years, then Doubles (tow birds/two shots) added, then Singles - one shot per bird was added.

I tried the latter for the firat time last month and broke a 15, since have move into the '20' range by just 'see the bird, shoot the bird' again. I was being too cautious which a.) I know better, and b.) never works for me.

Having said that the DGC has perhaps the toughest shooting background in the West and EU. Shooting in Europe almost always is against a green/grey 'tarp'. Ours is over water to a mixed river bank and dark treeline beyond that. Hard to find a soft focus and wind always at least 10mph and frequently 25.

Regards,

Bill

Regards,

Bill

20. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

drgondog, 24 grams is closer to 7/8 oz. not 3/4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.