1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/16 shot loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

I am loading 12ga winchester AA shells with 18.4gn of reddot and 1 1/16ozshot load with WAA claybuster wad. Anyone have any comments on this load? I have never seen a recipie for 1 1/16oz before. Wonder if I should have any concerns. I use to load 1 1/8shot with 19gn of reddot and a waa claybuster wad with good success.

Give me some feedback
    Steve

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to shoot 1 1/16 oz factory loads, never knew the difference between then and 1 1/8 ... I can't remember the name of the company that made them, but they were good shells ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Jerry Coy thanked this.
  3. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

If you use a winchester primer in your 1 1/8 load you are one full grain above Alliant's max listed load which is 18 gr. If you want a load that fast you would be better served with green dot. The pressure on your 19 gr load of red dot would be way up there!

Jerry Coy thanked this.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

WPT,

You know why we use 1 1/8 oz don't you?

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

WPT: I am sure he does but I gave some thought to 1 1/16 oz. loads too at one time. The purpose being the elimination to two loads. Never did try it but I can't see why it wouldn't be a viable all around load. Shooting ATA may alter one's feelings.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you reload using a recipe for 1-1/8 ounce loads using hard shot, you actually are loading 1-1/16 ounce shells. All shot bushings are calibrated for soft shot, which is heavier than hard shot, so hard shot yields 1-1/16 ounce in those bushings.

Ed

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Not going to get into an argument over the matter. Just saying I've had some of my best patterning results with 1 1/16oz loads. Go ahead and use 1 1/8 data, as long as your not shooting a low pressure load to begin with they should work great.

Robert

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I doctored my extra one ounce bar to drop 1-1/16 by weight. A few less pellets makes for a better crimp. But maybe like Ed says, I am really at a higher number of pellets anyway. I like the 1-1/16 because of felt recoil. less by a significant "feel" amount.

9. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I am loading 1 1/16 oz 7 1/2 loads in Win AA and Rem Gun Clubs. I have an adjustable charge bar on my MEC 9000H and the adjustable charge bar allows me to fine tune my load to produce a great and consistent crimp. The result was 1 1/16oz. Works fine. The difference between 1 1/18 and 1 1/16 oz in terms of BB's is very few.

For AA HS with 1 1/16 7 1/2 here is my load
    Win 209 primer
    Downrange DRA-12 or CB-1118 wad
    17.6g CLAYS
    AA HS Hull.

Nice load that patterns well and looks good as far as crimp is concerned.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Great load and even corrects buckling issues some reloaders have with new style AA's!!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cut up different shells from different companies, You will be surprised at what constitutes a 1 1/8 load.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

Because its not legal to use 1 1/4 ... Have a good one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

AA-HS hulls seem to be the way to go - if you are looking for 1-1/16 oz loads. Probably due to the slightly lower volume inside the hull. I get perfect crimps with AA hulls and 1-1/16 of shot (scale weight verified) using the DR Versalite wad and also the OEM Fig8 wad. I am sure other 1-1/8 wads would work as well.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What Ed said. Especially if you are using a MEC loader.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I like the 1-3/16 ounce # 6 loads. Grinds targets at the 32-34 yd. line
    Clyde

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

1.5 oz works even better but after a box of shells you start drooling all over yourself and even you don't know what you are trying to say ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

My 1-1/2 game loads come with a written caution and a price from my Dentist.
    LOL

Ajax

18. bossbasl

bossbasl Active Member

1 1/16 oz. loads seemed to be almost totally overlooked in this country whereas in the UK and Continent it is the standard shot load as is the 1 1/8 load in the U.S. I switched to 1 1/16 oz loads about 25 years ago as my "heavy" shot charge for clays (trap, skeet, sporting). I have loaded with PW equipment since 1971 and when PW offered the 1 1/16 oz bushing (5.5) I have never loaded anything heavier. As for a load with this shot charge in a AA hull, Win 209 primer, CB WAA12 equivalent wad and 17.6 gr. Red Dot has always performed very well. I notice a decrease in recoil with no change in target crushing ability even when playing games such as Annie Oakley or Back Up. With this load in either a Ljutic Mono or Simson pre-war Pigeon gun I find that as long as the target is not in the weeds it will be broken if pointed right. I also use this same load for Sporting in a Perazzi MX8 with fixed chokes. With the long history of success with this load I probably won't be loading 1 1/8 oz. loads anytime soon. Best of luck in finding what works best for you and your equipment. Lyle

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I think it was RIO who loaded the 1-1/16 ounce loads.
    Clyde

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I believe Kent were the shells loaded with. 1- 1/16 from UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.