1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1 1/16 ounce trap loads VS 1 1/8 ounce loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Anybody out there reloading 1- 1/16 ounce traploads? Do you use them on 16 yd. only? Can you use them for handicap? You only gain 10 shells per 25 pound bag vs 1-1/8 loads. Is it worth it? Recoil difference? Does it lower your scores? On MEC fixed bars with 7 1/2 shot,you don't get a full 1-1/8 ounce anyway.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have gone to loading 1 oz!

I see no difference between 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz ... if I am on the bird, it is a cloud of black dust ... if I have Cranial Rectumitis ... it doesn't matter if I have a 2 oz load!

Besides, I get an extra 2 boxes of reloads from a 25 lb bag with 1 oz loads!

3. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I shoot them all the time. I load 15/16 (410 grains) for 16's and 470 grains for 27 yard caps. I do not do it to save shot, I do it to save recoil. I love the less recoil and the speed of the shell. Just follow the 1 1/8 load but use 465 to 470 grains of shot.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

1/16 of an ounce? I wouldnt be shocked if your drops vary close to that. Honestly, I dont see any reason to shoot 1 1/16. I would either go with the full 1 1/8 or 1 oz. Thats just me though.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

1 oz since mid 70s and 7/8 oz for close shots since mid 90s and they've both posted a number of 100s at 16 yards. Then good for first shot of doubles, skeet, and a lot of sporting birds......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I bought a 1 3/16ths bar to throw true 1 1/8 oz loads with hard 7 1/2s. When I was using the 118 bar it was throwing 1 1/16ths.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use XL-1 wads with Claydot in Gun Club hulls for 1 oz. loads and get slightly dished crimps. Switch to 1 1/8 oz. data but drop 1 1/16 oz shot into the same wad, the crimps are right and the breaks at 24 yards are excellent.

MK

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes, very many reloaders load 1 1/16 oz of shot, but they don't know it. The shot bush hings marked 1 1/8 oz will often throw something much closer to 1 1/8 oz. A lot or reloaders will use the same shot bushing for Magnum shot and soft shot and believe their bushing will drop the same weight of both. The edge effect explained in the packing theory tells us that one bushing will not drop the same weight of different size shot, but few of us pay any attention to that fact.

One can read good weekly advice to never trust the published powder bushing charts. Posters will nearly demand that powder weights be checked frequently with a good scale. But the same reloaders will believe that if a shot bushing is marked 1 1/8 oz, that is good enough.

Pat Ireland

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A 1-1/8 ounce bar drops by volume. If your using #8 chilled or #8 magnum it should drop very close to same amount of pellets, the weight will be determined by the amount of antimony, or lack of it. Wayne

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

However, the "same number of pellets" theory is based on the assumption that the shot in both the "Magnum" and "Chilled" (or M&M or C&C) , both marked "8" really are, on the average, 8's. That's often not true either.

The same goes for factory shells. That's why you have to count pellets in shells from the same batch if you want to calculate percentages when you pattern, even if you count the resulting holes.

Neil

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

By a Dillon, then you can adjust to whatever you want.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Even if you have a Dillon there will be differences in every drop. I screwed with mine trying to get that perfect drop and it won't happen. Been there, done that and now don't own a Dillon.

13. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Big Pappa has it right! For those who don't see a reason, try it you'll like it. Let's see, less recoil, less shot cost, less deformed shot from set back pressure means better patterns. With proper chokes, less core density with same coverage. Bruce

14. warren

warren Member

I really don't know how you can tell the difference, one sixteenth of an ounce sure doesn't seem like much to me.

warren

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Goose2: Some BOZO'S couldn't adjust a condom........

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

"Even if you have a Dillon there will be differences in every drop."

Absolutely there are. I just went downstairs to my Dillon press and scale, and just for grins weighed a few pellets of nominal Northwest Magnum #7.5 shot sitting in the press. They ranged from 1.0 gr to 2.0 gr, with most around 1.2 to 1.3 gr. That's one single pellet. Given the fact that not all pellets are the same diameter (hence not likely the same weight), it is not inconceivable that they won't pack exactly the same way into the shot cavity every time, and the number of pellets will vary from drop to drop. That being said, I find that my drop weight does not vary much more than 5-6 gr from drop to drop most of the time. I think that is pretty darn good, i.e. about 4 pellets or so difference most of the time. When I consider that 1/16 th oz is 27.34 gr, I'm doing quite a bit better than that much variance. If you got rid of your Dillon just because you couldn't get the exact same drop weight every time, you're asking for the impossible. You couldn't get the exact same drop weight every time weighing out the pellets singly for every load.

17. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I drop 1 1/16 in my 366. Was having some trouble getting the crimp low enough with AA HS hulls and published load data. When I did get it low enough it would crush the sides of the hull. Well I got fed up, so I got a chunk of round aluminum, went to my uncle's colchester (turning lathe) and made my own damn bushing. Now I drop 1 1/16 of 7.5s 18grs Hogdon Clays. Crimps are perfect and chrono right at 1200-1220 fps. I couldn't be happier

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

A more direct answer to your question is I do. I'm sure that it is just a matter of perception but I like shooting them. A great shooter told me to trust my load and trust my gun and just take care of the pointing part. I shoot them from the 16 to the porch and if I do my part they do theirs. Perhaps I gain a little in velocity over the 1 1/8th loads and generate a little less pressure, not sure, the point is I like them, besides its a fun topic when the ounce vs. 1 1/8th ounce shooters start making comparisons.

Robert

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

These are all 1-1/16 oz. All we make on my PW withe the 5.5 shot bushing. The felt recoil is really lessened.
    mia_2008_030330.jpg

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

oldtimer, You should be getting around 25 extra shells a bag not 10!!! You get a extra 50 rounds with a one oz. load. I like the one oz load and see little reason to load more shot on a 16 yard target, skeet, or sporting clays load. Others will disagree, some won't. You do need to shoot a load that you believe in!!! Not what I believe in. Have fun and break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 1-16 ounce trap loads