1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1-1/16 Ounce loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I have several thousand Gun Club hulls and a couple of cases of Downrange XL-1 wads that I hoped to use together. With 1 ounce of shot and Reddot the crimps dish a little, they work fine, just a little dished. Using about 1-1/16 ounce of shot and 17 grains of Reddot, the crimps are great. They are pretty soft shooting and seem to make a pretty nice singles load.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Should be around 1125fps and work fine.

Ajax

3. wlc

wlc Member

I have several thousand Gun Club hulls and a couple of cases of Downrange XL-1 wads that I hoped to use together. With 1 ounce of shot and Reddot the crimps dish a little, they work fine, just a little dished. Using about 1-1/16 ounce of shot and 17 grains of Reddot, the crimps are great. They are pretty soft shooting and seem to make a pretty nice singles load.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Should be around 1125fps and work fine.

Ajax

5. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Useing high antimony and 1 1/8 oz. bushings many people are shooting
    1 1/16 oz. loads and don't know it.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Acorange, you are right about the weight, but it is still the same volume of shot. Sounds like wlc is adding shot, maybe using an adjustable charge bar?? Wayne

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I get dished crimps with the XL-1s all the time.

What do other people do with them.......

Shoot-em?

Drop a spent primer?

Popcorn?

Rice Krispies?

ANYONE.....

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I use the same components and 1 1/16 but 17.6 of promo works great.Jerry

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Couldn't help but notice the 1 and 1/16 ounce thread. I personally load 1 and 1/16 ounce of 8s, 24.5 grains of 7625, cheddite, windjammer copy in an STS, gun club or AA. Pretty soft on the recoil and pretty fast, but hard on the wallet.

John E.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If I had the problem, I'd simply adjust the volume of the shot to get an acceptable final package - that's assuming the crimp is/was deep enough in the first place......Bob Dodd

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<Blockquote><I> I get dished crimps with the XL-1s all the time.

What do other people do with them.......</i></blockquote>

My pet loads in GC hulls use 16.8 to 17.2 grn of Claydot and the XL-1 wad and the crimps do dish. I shoot them like that because the centers are closed. I had loads tested by Kevin Lewis at Downrange Mfg and he indicated that a dish in the center of the crimp is mostly a cosmetic thing and appears to have little effect on either pressure or velocity as long as the shoulder of the crimps isn't deeper than .055".

I use the P-W 1 1/16 oz shot bushing and the data for a 1 1/8 oz load and it makes a great 22 yard handicap load with #8 shot. The crimps don't dish, either.

MK

12. yzfart

yzfart TS Member

I shoot a very similar recipe: Gun Club hull, 1 1/16 shot, Fiocchi 616, 18 Gr Red Dot, DRA-12 1 ounce wad. This nets me 1235-1245 fps through the Chrony @ about 65 degrees F. I shoot this through a Winchester over/under. Nice and snappy with clean burn and very little fouling. My $.02

Ben

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use the same 1 oz formula as unknown1 does and have no dishing. Its all about adjustment...

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Shhot some of the Winchester Universal 1 1/8oz shells, and you'll be shooting 1 1/16 oz or less. Those shells are very inconsistant.

ss

15. wlc

wlc Member

I opened up a 1 ounce charge bar until it dropped about 460 grains.
    Ajax-- Where did you get the 1125 fps? I don't have a chronograph, but was guessing 1150 from looking at Alliants data for 1 oz and 1-1/8 oz using similar components.

16. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

I also bored out a 1 oz bushing to throw 1 1/16 oz. Use 19.5 of PB, cheddite primer, downrange XL wad in a gun club hull. Works well for me.

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

wlc, I have a chronograph. I haven't run the exact wad over it but the wad is an upgraded Hawk Wad(Now Eight petals) a company Downrange bought out. I have run this load with the original Hawk Wad and it comes in at 1125fps. I load my singles load at this speed. I copied the speed of the old Winchester Super Lite factory loads. Which I shot until Winchester took them off the market. Nice shell.

Ajax

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Kent Ammunition used to sell new shells that were 1 1/16th oz of shot, I bought and shot many of them and never noticed any difference one way or the other in my scores or the breaks from long yardage ... The only reason I bought them was the price was right and they turned out to be great shells ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.