1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1,000 yard offhand shot.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u3BUnHiv6AA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

A few years ago one of our club members set a world record: 10 shots at 1,000 yards in a 3 inch group. Not offhand, but still..

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wow, This must be the guy the kid on here was bragging about killing deer at 1000yds. You know the one who could read the wind better than anyone. LOL

I'm more impressed he was able to shoulder and steady that big heavy rifle.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yuppers, I hit a beer can with my bow n arrow at about 50 yards,, ONCE!! Every arrow will land er deflect sumwhur too! :)

Hap

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

During a plinking session with one of my pals, a big ol jackrabbit popped out of a bush and went running at full speed about 75 yards in front of us. I drew my .45 and cranked off a round from the hip and hit that rabbit right below the ear. My buddy stood there in total disbelief as I put my 1911 back on safe and holstered it as if that was just normal shooting.

Same deal - anything can happen once. Luck is a real phenomina.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

We were throwing clay targets by hand. One of my friends could not miss. We slipped him a rifled slug without his knowledge. Guess what,he hit the flying clay with the slug.
    Clyde

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

One time when they had just finished digging our pond my wife and I were sitting at the bank, dreaming of the day it filled up, and there was a killdeer on the other side, I had my brand new Rem 700 BDL 22 250 with a Leupold scope on it I looked through the scope and my wife said don't shoot that bird, I said he would be safe, and squeezed off a round

The bird dropped over dead, my wife walked over to look at it, it was over 200 yds away, and she said you hit it right in the eye, I yelled back damn that is where I was aiming

I think luck had a whole lot to do with it

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Catpower, you ate that bird, right? Should have listened to your wife.

HOw bout you wolfram, did you eat the rabbit?

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shot one once. It sent up a geyser of dirt at the backstop. Not bad at all to shoot either.

10. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

"I dont always shoot a Barrett .50 offhand at 1000 yds... But when I do, I prefer a 3" lead for every 10 MPH of crosswind."

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How could you tell you hit it in the eye with a 22-250? There should have been no head at all. I've hit trash birds with a 223 and 22-250, and the only thing left is a shower of feathers.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Not only that Brian how could his wife see where he hit the bird at 200 yards...

.first liar ain't got a chance!!!

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Maybe it was a ten grain 22-250 sabot?

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

have to rename this site BS.com

anyone ever see a professional 1000 yd range with such a low backstop from the target area? littered with rocks and such? didn't think so? me either

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Damn Brian why do you have to go ruining perfectly good stories with questions.

Darr

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pure B.S.

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Bahh, big deal...I already did that with my MX2000/10. Winchester Super Handicaps 7.5 shot. I always pattern my guns at 1000 yds, just to check the POI;)

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I don't doubt he could pull off that shot.

I hit a pepper popper standing offhand at 800 yards with a Winchester 1895 take down lever action in 30-06, made in 1926. This is a two MOA gun any day of the week, but with skill and no doubt a healthy dose of luck I did it.

I've also hit a lifesize steel buffalo target at 1100 yards with a 129 year old Trapdoor Springfield, though in this case it was four out of ten shots, using blackpowder handloads.

I've also hit that buffalo standing offhand at that range with an AR15 during practice. Then at the match the next day every shot missed. Elevation was fine but windage was all over the place. Wind can be a very fickle thing.

19. Catpower

I figured it would have too but she brought it back and there was a hole right through it's head

I really don't give a shit if you believe me or not, I know what I saw, and it was pure luck

20. Catpower

Likes to shoot if you can't see a bird the size of a kill deer at 200 yds your eyes must be pretty bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.