1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1,000 targets in 16s,Hdcp, Doubles, in current yea

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The rule that 1,000 targets in 16s and Hdcp in the current target year to shoot the Grand American is absolutely stupid, thats 10 weekends to a young family man away from his wife and children.

It used to be 1500 each in 3 years, that's half what it is now and we had a lot more shooters then. What this boils down to is 500 of each per year.

If you kept up shooting 500 each year you were always elgible for the Grand.

Why in the WORLD CAN"T WE GO BACK TO THAT.

Now I will get jumped on about this, but those that jump on me post your INCOME
    and your age, Then we will see the true relevance of my suggestion.

The backbone of our organization is the young up coming family man and woman.

That rule of 1,000 targets in current target year is a back kreaker for the young famalies.

You fellas with lots of money, shoot all you can, and travel and enjoy it, but don't put this burden on the young and up coming shooters.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You don't go to the Grand anyway so why do you care what goes on there? You have all these ideas of how it should be done but don't even go. Why don't you fix some problems with the Indy 500 you don't compete there either? Does that make sense to you??? Probably not.

It would be like me bitch'n about the requirements for the Boston Marathon. Like i'm gonna go run in it anyway.

3. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

You must just LOOK for things to pizz you off, eh? Please tell me why I can't shoot at the Grand...even if I haven't shot a target all year.

Couple years back at the grand, I only had 400 targets under my belt. But I shot several events.

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I kinda agree. 1000 targets a year in 16 yards and caps for the average guy is alot. Cutting it back to 500 would probably help to encourage more people to shoot ATA. I don't see how it could hurt since they just did the 2 yard reduction program. And yes i go to the Grand but im not going if its 95 degress with 80% huminity. Heat index over 100.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez Earl, you and me, shooting from the 19, at the Grand! Who gives a sh*t about heat, you and I will be the hot sh*t there!!!

6. smsnyder

BigM Perazzi, to funny. Heck the 19 yard line is like shooting Skeet LOL

7. running bear

running bear Member

Longshot like to see his name in print.

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I thought you had to have 1500 in the current and previous year combined, with a minimum of 500 in the current year, am I reading it wrong?

Oscar

9. BigM-Perazzi

A. GRAND AMERICAN QUALIFICATION
    No participant shall be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25.0 yards unless he/she has a minimum of 1000 registered Handicap targets in the current year. The 1000 handicap targets must have been registered since September 1 of the previous year and not later than the day preceding the first day of the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships. However, participants who fail to meet Grand American Handicap qualification as described above shall have the choice of shooting targets only from their assigned yardage provided they waive and forfeit all rights to trophies, options, purses, and added money. Handicap target requirements are waived for Senior Veterans, making them eligible for trophies and monies.
    Shooters who do not have a total of 1000 16 yard targets registered beginning since September 1, of the previous year and not later than the day preceding the first day of the Grand American World Trapshooting Championship will be advanced (1) class or more at the discretion of the Handicap Committee. Shooters with less than 500 registered single targets will be placed in class B or higher at the discretion of the Handicap Committee.
    Shooters who do not have a total of 1000 double targets registered beginning since September 1, of the previous year and not later than the day preceding the first day of Grand American World Trapshooting Championships will be advanced (1) class or more at the discretion of the Handicap Committee. Shooters with less than 500 registered double targets will be placed in class B or higher at the discretion of the handicap committee.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

running bear there is a couple of those on this site!

ss

11. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If more people realized they could get away from wives and kids they would join the ATA.

consider a hypothetical 3 day state shoot. Day one = 100 sgls, 100 hdcp, 50 pr. Day two = 200 sgls. Day three = 100 hdcp and 50 pr. So our hen-pecked shooter now has 200 hdcp, 300 sgls, and 200 dbls. And he still has how many weekends?? How about a 2 day state shoot warm-up?? Blow the winter off with a doubles marathon?? Maybe a singles marathon? this is only three weekends worth.

Target minimums do not keep people from the GA or any other shoot. Hotels, food, transportation costs can keep people from going to the Grand. Taking a week off from work and being away from home slows up more than a few shooters.

I think you should clear the fog from your mind Longtshot. Target minimums are not the answer.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What Gary said.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Another BS post by the chief BSer.

I have right now for this year 1200 16's, 1100 caps and 800 dbles. I am not trying to brag but these have come from local shoots, I have not had to travel and most these are not $25 targets and are one day shoots.

We haven't even gotten in the large shoots yet, where you can pile up targets.

Go to your state shoot and you can get most of them.

Very few people have trouble if they want them. Prelim week of the Grand can also give you a ton.

The Grand is the world championships and if you want to shoot for them. those are the requirements. It's not a everybody come and have a good time family picnic.

You are allowed to shoot for the championship by shooting penalty yardage or class. Name one other sport that allows you to do that.

These are the rules and if you don't like them then take up knitting.

Oh you wanted particulars didn't you?? WHERE ARE YOURS????????

I'm 71, still working and my finances are none of your f-ing business.

Don

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

All relevant points, and while I have been somewhat hard on Dr. Longshot lately, I cannot disagree with him. For me a lower target requirement would make my life a little easier. Can I find the time and the finances to shoot 1,000 handicaps and singles? Sure, but between my regular job and farming I have to shoot most of mine through the winter. Brrrrrrr!!! Its not nearly as much fun to shoot in the cold all bundled up as it is in the warm weather.

John

P.S. Dr. Longshot, just because I agree with some of what you are saying, don't expect a phone call of thanks from me. LOL!

15. smsnyder

Watch out Gary the internet police are watching

16. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Well, all I have to say is that one year at the Missouri Fall Handicap I didn't have enough targets and had to shoot the 25 yard penalty yardage (I think my normal yardage was 20). Anyway, I shot better at the 25 yards than I had been shooting at 20!!

In otherwords, I didn't let the penalty yardage stop me from shooting and having an enjoyable week at the shoot.

Allen

17. BigM-Perazzi

Cripes! Like BD said! Think World Championships... geez,

How about You have to qualify at your Zone, State, or Satellite Grand...

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"It used to be 1500 each in 3 years, that's half what it is now and we had a lot more shooters then. What this boils down to is 500 of each per year."

When was that? I have a rulebook from 2002 that says 2,000 targets of each in 2 years. 1,000 of which must be in the current year. So I would like to know just when the 500 per year was?????

Bob Lawless

ivanhoe_2008_030340.jpg

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Many state shoots have a 1000 target minimum or penalty class/yardage apply. They are always earlier than the Grand. So Longshot, why are you not down on the individual states? I believe your state is one of them and they are 5-6 weeks earlier. So tell us then why the states can apply ruling but for the world championships it is wrong!

20. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

That is one rule I would like to see relaxed, sure 1000 targets seem to be no problem. Only issue I have is those of us "Working Bums" who the majority of the time due to schedules work weekends? I'm finding was it not for Marathons, I doubt I would ever meet the mins. Now if I was retired like what seems to me to be the majority of the shooters, then the targets would be no problem.

As for the two yard reduction, the EC is just NUTS!!!

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.