1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1,000 target handicap review question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd guess it'll start from when the computer issued the reduction, thus it will include the 200 targets shot at the 22 yd line.........

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Only targets shot from the new yardage would be counted for the next reduction. If you shoot 500 targets from your old yardage the ATA computer will automatically Void your reduction. This happened to me in Target Year 2010 while I was waiting for my PITA reduction to arrive in the mail. If I would have shot at my new reduced ATA yardage after my PITA card arrived, theoretically the targets could be disqualified because the ATA website said that my ATA reduction was refused on the same date that it was issued.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This might help in the understanding of it all.

"1000 TARGET REVIEW SYSTEM SUMMARY (It starts on page 65 in the rule book)

11. Upon receipt of a “1000 target review reduction” the shooter has
    one month to take that reduction. Before the Central Handicap
    Committee deems that “void” a.) Special Circumstances:

1. Shooter is obviously shooting out of state

2. Shooter has not shot any targets since the review

3. If shooter has shot more than 500 targets from old yardage
    the reduction is void."

Bob Lawless

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Another ?, suppose you get a punch, does the 1000 target review come into the picture. How long is the added yardage good for?

Phil Berkowitz

5. ivanhoe

If you are going to take the reduction it would be a god idea to take as soon as you receive the new card. BTW it say MORE than 500 targets or a month as I read it. It also says a shooter is obviously out of state.

I actually think you would be well served to seek out advice from your state delegate. Most of them have an email address posted on the state website or the ATA shoot lists for your state. I find it once again one of those rules that can be interpreted differently by different people. So a definite answer to your question may be tough with an official ruling.

As I said when I posted the section of the summary of reviews. It May help as it would seem it isn't that much help. It does however point out that there is some latitude for certain situations with in the rule.

Phil your one thousand target counter starts with the next targets shot after the date of your punch.

Bob Lawless

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have documented evidence that this rule was not enforced as recently as 2008 but now the ATA computer is voiding your reduction as soon as you get 500 Handicap targets from your old yardage. In my case I sent an email to Kathy Key explaining the necessary wait for the PITA matching reduction and that I would accept the ATA reduction. I shot at the first 400 Handicap targets definitely Out of State and before the ATA reduction arrived in my mail box; it takes 10 days for a first class letter to arrive in Canada. No Matter my ATA Reduction was deemed VOID inspite of the email and I waited for another 1000 Handicap targets for a new Review.

7. ivanhoe

You are correct but no matter what the counter may be whether it is 1000 targets or 2 years it starts with the very next targets shot after the punch.

I answered it the way I did because he referred to the 1000 target review. There are 2 questions in that post one about the 1000 target review. The other is asking about time. Which could be 2 years or 5 years if it takes that long to get the required targets. One can be for time the other is for targets and until you get a 1000 target review you are not moving unless you win.

So the 1000 target review doesn't apply in the case of a Grand win if you win the GAH you are frozen on your new yardage for at least 2 years. No matter how many targets you shoot.

I will go out on a limb and say 1000 targets is 1000 targets. I have shot 600 Handicap targets in the last 8 years. Until I shoot 400 more I am not looking for a reduction. 1000 targets is 1000 targets.

Bob Lawless

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I haven't read the new rule book but it used to be that you had to shoot the 1,000 targets within 2 years of your last reduction or punch for them to count towards a reduction. JRM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.