1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

1,000,000 Rounds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RichinNewJersey, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichinNewJersey

RichinNewJersey TS Member

If you shoot the same gun

- 4 times a week
    - 4 rounds each time
    - 50 weeks a year

it will take you 50 years to reach a million rounds

Despite the claims after doing the math I doubt there are many if any million round trap guns out there.

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

And it would take 35 tons of lead.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Does that 35 tons of lead still belong to the shooter or do you give up ownership when you pull the trigger? HMB

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Just like dropping a quarter on the ground, it's gone like you never owned it! hmmmmm....to bad there wasn't a way...nah. Bill

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

We were talking the other day about the cost of shooting and Kay mentioned if you do a considerable amount of shooting, travel to most of the shoots and shoot them all, add in all the expenses, you will spend a dollar a bird. Which gives you a perspective to the million birds. Even if you shoot and travel a modest amount.

Ouch!

I will ask him how many rounds he has through his K-80.

CM

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You also need 2,571 pounds of powder and 2 1/2 tons of wads.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

tony olivito did that way back when with an 870 trap gun. I believe he used the same gun for all of it and remongton gave him a new one. I think the old one is in the hall of fame. Nice gentleman and a heck of a shooter. Had the pleaseue to shoot with him many times. motordoc

8. skeet100

skeet100 Member

@ 15 cents a round thats $150,000 worth of ammo :)

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Tony Olivito a shooter from Steubenville Ohio,area, and bought lots of shooters in the calcuttas there, and especially at the Tri-State shoot when it was held there, he bought me many times, he got a good return on his investment.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

Rich in New Jersey, Your asumptions are flawed! Mr. Olivito, 1,500, 000 plus before his death in a car mishap, Gerald Burkhart, 1, 600, 000 16 yd targets, now Rich these are REGISTERED, not heresay, ATA confirmed! Four rounds at a time is NOTHING! think like this, your are looking at 400 rounds a week, that is drival! Think this, every fri, Sat. Sunday, 1000 each day for y you have no conception on how mant targets are shot by some, The best I have have seen are 17 flats, ! 250 rounds per flat, shot each on a Sat. and Sunday! incinerate em!

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Didn't Mr Olivito shoot new shells for all of his targets? I thought I read that somewhere.

12. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

One of the guys at my club was just telling stories of a million+ round guy in western pa (I forget the name, but probably one of the people mentioned above). He said the guy bought his ammo by the trainload. He would then load it a pallet at a time onto his truck and go to the range. He said it was nothing for the guy to shoot 1,000+ rounds a day 7 days a week. The guy would then sell the empties right on the spot as he got done with them.Being a new young shooter it is always cool to hear these stories.

13. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

One of the guys at my club was just telling stories of a million+ round guy in western pa (I forget the name, but probably one of the people mentioned above). He said the guy bought his ammo by the trainload. He would then load it a pallet at a time onto his truck and go to the range. He said it was nothing for the guy to shoot 1,000+ rounds a day 7 days a week. The guy would then sell the empties right on the spot as he got done with them.Being a new young shooter it is always cool to hear these stories.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

Rich is not disputing how many rounds a person, but how many rounds fired from the same gun.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I feel like I've reloaded that many. But, more like maybe 250-300,000. I wonder, who and how many reloads have been reloaded by one person. Has anyone kept track over a lifetime of reloading?

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

those guys used to shoot 1000 rounds or more a couple of nights a week. George levkowitz was another member of the group from stubenville ohio

17. TOOLMAKER 251

George Griggs from Pa. had over 750,000 and he told me years ago most of his shooting was reloads. I have 6 1/2 5 gallon buckets of spent primers, now if someone can estimate how many are in a 5 gallon bucket it will give me a idea of what I shot.

18. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Ive kept track im 15 been loading 2 yrs now. Ive reloaded 24,200
    I reload for my friend but in my couple yrs shooting ive shot 13,000 practice mostly

19. TjayE

TjayE Member

motordoctor and Dr Longshot: Tony Olivito did shoot new shells and a Remington model 870 trap. The maximum he could get out of a receiver was 300,000 rounds. Tom E.

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Cost of shooting

From a recent article on Olympic shooter Kim Rhode

Richard Rhode estimates that her training costs — shooting between 600 and 1,000 rounds — run about $500 a day. That is ammunition, targets and travel costs to the three places with equipment proper enough for her to train — Oak Tree, Redlands and Prado Dam. She has been training at this pace for 20 years, he says, and if that is 365 days a year times 20 years, simple math brings this bottom line: $3.65 million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tony olivito stuebinville oh