1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

'09 Michigan and Indiana State Shoots-Same week ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pullbangloss, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

While looking thru this month's issue of Trap and Field I noticed both 2009 state shoots for Michigan and Indiana are scheduled for the same weekend.

What gives? It seems like in times like these each shoot would want to try and attract as many shooters as possible. Scheduling your state's state shoot the same weekend as a neighboring state sounds ridiculous to me!

With that said, it looks like myself and a lot of other Michigan and Indiana shooters will have a decision to make next year. Michigan or Indiana?

I hope that something can be worked out so that shooters from these states are given the oppurtunity to attend both shoots. Maybe this post will help get the word out and maybe, just maybe, it is early enough to reschedule one of these shoots.

Matt Krizinski
    Michigan resident (who loves both shoots!)

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I know a trapshooter big enough to make them both at the same time. lol.
    But really that can't be good for attendance.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You can thank Penn. and OH for all this. PA moved their shoot back a week and then Ohio moved their shoot back two weeks overlapping MI who then moved their shoot back overlapping IN. There used to be always a week between Ohio and MI but this shuffle erased that.

I don't think some organization realize the impact on others when they make these types of decisions. If things aren't changed MI and IN are going to be hurt in a time when neither can afford to be hurt. And you wonder why attendance is down at some shoots.

Don

4. pullbangloss

The way I see it, Michigan always has their state shoot over the Fourth of July. This year they don't. Instead they schedule the Michigan 500 over the Fourth. Why not move the Michigan 500 back a week or even cancel the shoot. This would allow the state shoot to take the week of the Fourth. Let's face it, that shoot is only for shooters who need targets for the state shoot. Why risk slipping in yet another small shoot that will effect one of the biggest shoots the MTA puts on.

Matt Krizinski

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Matt moving the 500 would have no bearing on the state dates. If you move it back 1 week you would be on top of Ohio. Ohio basically took the week that MI has had for the last few year forcing MI to move or go head to head. Another great show of mutual friendship and respect between state organizations.

Don

6. pullbangloss

Just thought I would post this:

'09 Pennsylvania State Shoot: June 15-21

'09 Pennsylvania Grand: July 3-5

'09 Ohio: State Shoot: June 22-28

'09 Michigan 500: July 4-5

'09 Michigan State Shoot: July 6-12

'09 Indiana State Shoot: July 7-12

To me, the Michigan 500 seems to be the problem in this schedule. I think there is no choice but to move it to the last week in June. It's always been a small shoot so putting it up against the Ohio State shoot is no loss. Again, why put two big shoots (MI and IN state shoots) up against each other.

For the sake of Midwest trapshooters, let's hope this scenario is worked out.

Matt Krizinski

7. A201

A201 TS Member

Matt, a few years ago Michigan moved their shoot to the July 4th weekend which was the Indiana week at that time. As a result, Indiana moved to another week, to adjust state scheduled weeks is a pain. If we have a problem now look at Michigan's attitude and put the blame where it belongs. It should be on Ohio and Michigan, not on the ITA. Roger

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There appears to be wrong info out there and consequently confusion. I am now wrong about Ohio if the Cardinal Web site is correct. They have the OH state shoot as June 22 thru the 28 therefore no need to move MI or IN. The info out originally was OH 6/29 to 7/5. MI needs to go back to original week of 6/29.

I apologize to both OH and PA but that was the info out there.

Don

9. pullbangloss

Roger/Don,

By all means I did not start this post to put blame on any state. The fact is the problem is there and it needs to be resolved.

Hopefully the states will avoid pointing fingers and calling each other names and work on fixing the problem at hand.

Let's do our best to keep this thread a hot topic and maybe bring some attention to the appropriate people.

Matt

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Please see new thread: ITA BOD meeting - October 18, 2008

Should answer most questions.

Thanks,

John

11. pullbangloss

Thanks for the update John.

I've got an e-mail into the BOD's for Michigan. Hopefully things can be worked out so that these state shoot's are not trying to compete against each other.

Matt Krizinski

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

No one wants to go head to head with Ohio, one of the few state shoots with attendance up last year.

13. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

If MI would go back to the 4th of July weekend, then they would be the week after Ohio, not head-to-head...

14. pullbangloss

I definatley think the issue is with the Michigan 500 being scheduled for July 4th and 5th. This needs to be changed so that the state shoot can go back to it's "home slot." The Michigan State shoot has always been over the fourth. Why let the Michigan 500 ruin the attendance at our state shoot.

Just my two cents worth (again).

Matt Krizinski

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Matt: unfortunately it is done and over with. The dates stand and MI and IN go head to head. How flipping dumb.

Don

16. pullbangloss

Don,

How can it be done? It's not even 2009 yet. If our BOD's can't work this out there is a problem. To me it does not seem that difficult.

Matt Krizinski

17. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

Hi Guys:

We hate to see this happen, as we look forward to shooting both MI & IN state shoots! Keep us informed.
    Wayne & Mary / Camden, IN

18. pullbangloss

Hey Wayne!

What the heck are we going to do? We can only hope this get's worked out. I can see "Non-Resident" shooters favoring Indiana over Michigan. Michigan State shoot was down enough last year even without competing with Indiana! It makes me sick to think we are going to try and compete with them.

Hoping this all get's worked out,
    Matt Krizinski

19. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

The PA State shoot has traditionally ended on Father's Day and the Ohio State shoot is the week following Father's Day. In 2009, Father's Day falls on June 21st. Therefore the Ohio State Shoot will be the following week, June 22 - 28. Since Bob Stuart cashiers both the PA and OH shoots we could not have an overlap. I hope that Michigan and Indiana can work something out so they do not overlap. Ohio did consider the Michigan State shoot when we set our date. Contrary to what BIG DON thinks, we Buckeyes love shooting in Michigan and Indiana. (Sorry Don, I know you appologized but it so much fun to poke at ya!) Hopefully Michigan will consider a date change so that we can all enjoy both the Indiana and Michigan shoots.

Don Cogan

20. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I do not wish to enter the debate of who should do what. However, I do know that quite a few of us shoot and enjoy both shoots. Both state shoots will suffer in attendance numbers if some middleground is not found. Now is the time. Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.