1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

03A3 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1atatime, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

I just came into possession of a Smith Corona 03A3 SN C3712xxx. I did a little checking and it seems to have all the proper markings and there is no indication of a rebuild. Proof marks and inspection marks all appear to be proper. However, it appears to be outside the serial number range for the Smith Corona rifles. According to some of what I read, the SC's stopped at 3,707,999, then went to 4xxxxxxx numbers.

I'm wondering if this may be one of the SN overrun numbers. I also discovered it has the 6 groove barrel. The resources I checked show that there were about 3,600 03A3's where Remington and SC used the same numbers. There were also about 5000 of SC's that had the H&R 6 groove barrels. It appears this gun was manufactured sometime in 1943.

I also read that these guns were produced with 2 different rear sights: the first is the 1905 model, the second a 1943 (or thereabout) model. The sight on this gun is attached from the side and has adjustment "wheels" for windage and elevation. The sight is a round, concave disk about the size of a nickel that screws into the sight body. When the disk is removed, the rear sight is like a ghost ring. The front sight is fixed with a hood over the top. Ther eis a screw out cylinder that goes in from the back. I have no idea what purpose the screw in part has.

Lastly, on the "thumb side" (away from the bolt) there is a "tab" that says "Off" and "On". What is that? There is a separate safety behind the bolt, but I have no idea what the On/off tab is.

Can one of you military experts tell me what I have from the info provided? Any idea of what it might be worth? As for condition, the barrel is clean and bright, action is smooth and works well. The stock is anything but fancy and has a few dings and wear marks, especially below the bolt. I want to shoot it just for fun, but will probably just hang it on my wall.

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

steve

2. Kerz

Kerz Member

Sounds like you've got a nice one! The On Off Switch is to cut out the magazine, ie, a single shot.
    Couple of links for related info.
    http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?9-M1903-1903A3-A4-Springfield

Vic

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You forgot the pictures....

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never seen a GI issue rear sight with a seperate aperature disk. Is the stock have a defined pistol grip, (called a "C" stock) of just a little bump like they were thinking about making a pistol grip? It would be great if you could post up a picture or a link to a picture.

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Putting the on/off lever in the neutral position will allow you to remove the bolt also.

Steve

6. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

The theory on the '03, (and, therefore the '03A3) magazine cutoff was that the magazine would be charged with a stripper clip, the top round depressed, and the bolt moved forward, and the cutoff moved to "OFF".

The rifle would then be single-loaded, so that aimed shots woudl be taken, and in the event of an "emergency" the mag would be switched "ON" to get a faster rate of fire. This was a WWI-era means of keeping the soldiers from "wasting" ammo....

Later, they figued out that ammo was cheaper to make than doughboys/GIs to train, and Garands, and their descendants came along.

7. klf

klf Member

Pictures or it never happened!

8. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Sounds like a Lyman 48 or similar rear sight and a globe type front sight.
    Pic's would help. Maybe someones old HiPower rifle.

9. 1atatime

1atatime TS Member

Thanks for the info. Sorry I'm replying so late, but I was on vacation for the past week.

I've fumbled around for the past 45 minutes trying to load some photos but couldn't get it done. I'll re-try when my somewhat limited amount of patience returns.

Thanks again. You've all been helpful given the limited information I provided.

steve