1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.038 full choke vs .038 full choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

If you have a barrel with a .750 bore and a .712 choke will it preform the same as a barrel with a .735 bore and a .697 choke? Both have .038 thousands of constriction, but the .697 choke is .015 tighter than the .712 choke. Will the .712 choke preform as well from the 27 yard line? Dale

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Probably!

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In theory....yes. Some would say the larger bore is better because of less pellet deformation. But I have seen some old full choke barrels that can reach way way out there.

Wayne

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yes.

Personally, I'll take the .750" bore barrel over the .735".

ss

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I can not answer your question but I will say this. You can have a choke that is 38 with a 727 bore or one that is 38 with a 745 bore. Either way the barrel will have a load that it likes or a shot size it seems to prefer.

I have seen guns with the same bore and constriction that would not pattern a hunting load anywhere close to each other. I do not know why this is, just that it is.

The problem with target loads is that diffrences are not as easily seen up close ( 35 yards) and with large pellet counts people become prone to eye balling a pattern vs counting holes.

When you shoot a 1 1/2 oz load of copper plated lead BB's it starts out with 75 pellets. When you shoot it at 55 yards a barrel that will do 55 BB's vs one that does 45 BB's is easily seen.

Some guns prefer a certain size shot and with trap loads the time and effort to figure it out with all the wads,powder and primer combos you could make a full time job out of determining what load is "best" in your gun.

The only way to know is to choose a load and shoot it through both guns and count the holes. You need to do it 10 times to really get a true idea. That is a lot of pattern work.

In theory both barrels are providing 38 points of choke and they will both act like a barrel with 38 points of choke. Which one will be better? Only one way to find out. Many will profess that with a larger bore you should have less pellet deformation and thus more pellets in the pattern.Jeff

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Personally I would take the .740 bore, the .750 bore has some bloopers especially in cold weather, and wad selection has a lot to do with that blooping problem.

I will side with Al Ljutic that the .740 Bore is the optimum.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The .750 barrel will have less percentage of constriction.

.750/.038 vs. .735/.038, gives a difference of 0.11%; so the .750 has less percentage of choke and a potentially a larger pattern. I don't know if any one could tell the difference in a tenth of a percent, and there are other factors involved.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I only did this with 1 gun of each gauge but. Have you ever compared patterns from std. bores 20ga vs. 12ga with the same payload--shot size--muzzle velocity--etc. When I did this comparison test there was more difference in the pat. percentages and appearance due to different shot sizes than bore size, both printed similar diameters @ the same distance but when shot (viewed) on water and in fresh snow the 12 ga with its larger bore showed a shorter shotstring so I would think that there would be more pellets in any given area at any given time that the target was passing through. So I guess I would have to vote for the larger bore. Geeeeeee do you think maybe that's why the 12ga is the most popular ga.???????? My inquiring little mind wants to know. Ross Puls

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

According to one barrel maker; it takes less choke in the larger bore to get the same tightness pattern. AJ

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The important thing is who did the barrel work and who made the choke. HMB

11. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

You have too much time on your hands and for sure I CAN MISS WITH EITHER ONE!!!

Good shootin
    Jp

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Personally I like the Question. Opens a whole new theory to what a full choke is or is not. There are a lot of shooters out there who have no idea what this is about. So if you open the chamber you can tighten the choke? Bill

13. racer

racer TS Member

Let me guess- no one on this thread has read Dr. AC Jones book? Dan

14. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I also like the question Bill. Did you mean enlargening the chamber or the bore?

15. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Probably not a lot of difference, and almost certainly none that you would notice on a day to day basis.

When I measured a near nominal bore gun and a backbored one, their full choke performance was in all practical senses the same. The line on the graph below shows the pattern diamter over 20-40 yards for the two full chokes; it's clear they are both near enough the same.

[​IMG]

I did also measure the performance of the minor gauages, and it transpires that as the bore decreases the ultimate tight pattern capability of the gun also decreases. This implies that bores over the nominal 12-gauge should pattern tighter unless that is a bore size somewhere around nominal for a 12-gauge is the optimum for the payload weights and pellet sizes we use for clays. We'll have to wait for Neil's .750" results . . . . .

Andrew.

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Bob, Meant to say bore. Friday nite is beer nite! Regards, Bill

17. racer

racer TS Member

Eddie- the question that started the post was a very good one. I see the good DR put some data towards the answer. Data is what drives the correct answer to this type of question. Read the book and evaluate the posts this question drew. Have fun, Dan

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This was the idea behind the factory backbored Remington 1187 trap barrel. Instead of a .727" bore, they have a .745" bore. Remington says the idea is to make the center of the pattern more dense, and from what I've patterned that appears to be true.

The biggest benefit to me, though, is that I'm getting nice, even patterns with cheap soft pellets, whereas my .727" barrels need harder shot to duplicate this.

The upshot is that I can use cheap promo loads instead of premium loads, saving money.

Of course, if you really want upgraded performance, put premium shot though the backbored or overbored barrels.

19. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

Very interesting responses, you guys really know your stuff. Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.