1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.030 THOU.VERSA .040 CHOKE

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by 1166, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1166

1166 Member

0   0   0

Can any one describe the diferance in centre (hot core) between the two chokes @ 40yds. Also does the traditional 30" circle necessasarly expand beyond 30"s with the .030 thou. choke. thankes in advance.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

It would be speculation at best until you look at several patterns of them side by side ... Use different shells and different sized shot also, you might be surprised at the outcome ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

(Corrected)

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

0   0   0

Make that 5 or more patterns of each. There is a lot of shot to shot variation. Use averages.

Don Verna

4. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

0   0   0

There is an article about this at: http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html. What is shows -- as a result of 15 pattern runs for each choke -- is that the core doesn't change much, but the quality of the pattern markedly improves in terms of lower hole count/uniformity.

Scroll down to the middle of the page for the data.

For all practical purposes, a 32 gram/ 1 1/8 trap load barely fills out a 30" circle.

- - Bill

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

0   0   0

It all depends on how the choke is set up and nothing is certain on a generic level. The mystically 30" pattern is as relevant as the Figure 8 configuration for setting up a gun. You have to pattern each barrel to know the results.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

I do not pattern a gun for the sake of the pattern because shotgun shells are like snow flakes and no two are exactly alike and I shoot fixed chokes ... I go to the pattern board and check for Point of aim (POA) and Point of impact (POI) so I know where the gun is shooting ... I do this standing as well as with the gun resting on sandbags just to see how much or if there is any difference ...

My Father used to pattern guns and spend days counting the number of holes and marking them with a little marker to compare the patterns and not once did he get any two that were alike, let alone exactly the same ... He had a clear plaxiglass 30" circle cut out that he would overlay on the patterns and mark the percentages inside of the 30", then 25", then 20", then 18" circle until he found what he was looking for or he thought he did anyway ... Once you drop the hammer on a shell the chance of getting another one to pattern just like it ain't happening, if there is a hole in the pattern it more than likely will not be in the next pattern or if is it, will be someplace else in the pattern ... When he moved even he couldn't believe how many patterns he had shot at and checked over in the many years and how much time he had invested (wasted) doing it ...

1166 is looking for pattern density (hot spot) if I read the posting right between the two different restrictions on the chokes ... The results might be interesting to say the least ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Patterning is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional object

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

What Joe said!

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

Euro Joe,

Thats as good an explaination as I have ever heard ... I like it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

0   0   0

Not much hot core left @ 40 yds. and not that much difference in overall pattern between a .027 and .048 choke according to "Hoyle" per A.C. Jones new book, Sporting Shotgun Performance. Jones backs it up with patterns, patterns and chokes and more chokes. Sure, a little difference but not enough to worry about. How about something that really is significant, 1" pointing error at muzzle for a 40 yd. crosser at anticipated break-point. I know, it's a thinker, but this is where the misses pile up and where I need to focus more and more and less with chokes and loads IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.