1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

0/T The .22 Olympic Ultra Match That Never Was

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hank Cross, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

While this as about rifle ammo, maybe some one would like to follow through.

I've been cleaning my shop for a couple of weeks (actually see the floor in a couple of places) when I came across my files on .22 ultra match for the US Shooting Team.

In the late 1980's, I put together a group called The Shooting Sports Research Council who, among other things, were directed to close the huge gap in accuracy between .22 rimfire and centerfire ammo. Enlisted several top notch bench resters, scientists, Aberdeen Proving Ground and Olympians.

Net result was a design (and patent) that would do the job, but no manufacturer would spend the money to make. Federal went down the path a ways and we got a gold and silver at Barcelona, but made no real changes. the patent was donated to the US Shooting team who let it go into the public domain and now a British Co. sponsers the team.

Lots of interesting stuff in the files that maybe someone could put to good use. If interested, send me a PM.

Hank Cross

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Your talking about this ammunition, but the Russians actually had a dimpled case years before it was introduced in the US.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303288.jpg

toolmaker251_2008_0303289.jpg

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I hope its not worth a lot of money, I have been shooting that same ammo for a long time ... I bought a boat load of it when I had my FFL and still got plenty of it sitting around ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'll still put my $ on Tenex...

5. TOOLMAKER 251

WPT, is your ammo packaged in blue plastic boxs, and does the back of the shell have a big dimple as if it was shot in a centerfire rifle?

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

TOOLMAKER,

What is the reason for the dimple?

7. TOOLMAKER 251

The inside of the case would show a 2mm hemispherical projection that was suppose to make for a better flame propagation from the priming compound to the powder charge.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

This is what UM-1 looks like, I use to have fun with shooters at the range by showing them loaded rounds and telling them they were duds, even though I was getting good hits with my firing pin.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303290.jpg

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. So that picture is unfired rounds?

10. TOOLMAKER 251

Yes Matt, new unfired ammo.

11. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

When I was competing in benchrest rimfire shot lots of the stuff it's just like any other 22 rimfire ammo it is particular in which rifle it works. The creation of the barrel tuners really helped broaden the range of rifles it was acceptable in but still some rifles refused to shoot it well. If you got some of that and was just so you could probably name your price on benchrest central.com rimfire forum

12. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Yes, that's the Federal ammo. I was with Launi when she shot it in Barcelona.

The dimples are just tweaking super match. Eley, of course supplies us now.

The changes needed, although never made, were a harder (tin instead of antimony), boat tail sobsonic bullet with a sabot and completely different powder. Could be done, but would require a new productuion set up. at that time,Winchester wanted $600,000 to set it up.

Hank Cross

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Cool story Hank, thanks for sharing here on the forum!! :) I can only imagine the cost to sabot a rimfire cartridge!! That is really neat that the equipment is so specialized for the sport.

Can you point someone like me to a webpage or two do find out more about olympic rifle competition?

14. TOOLMAKER 251

Hank, substituting tin for antimony would only make lead softer. Maybe you meant to say the opposite.

15. johnpe

johnpe Member

Interesting!! I'm not attempting to hijack this thread, but the respondents here are obviously extremely knowledgable. I shot small bore in college and some in the Army. The ammo supplied by the Army to our ROTC team was Remington standard velocity which shot well in our 52's but not up the standards of match ammo. We didn't lose any matches in my four years, including my last one that was live on TV from the TV studio. In the day Winchester EZXS was the world standard - even for the Russians, but none of us in college (1950's) could afford it. Then Eley 10-X became the top stuff followed quickly or maybe about the same time by RWS R-50. I remember reading about the Federal ammo and wanted some but couldn't find any to purchase at local stores. I've read some of the rimfire threads and they speak of Wolf as being really good. My question: If you wanted the most accurate .22 RF ammo out there, what would you buy?

Thanks a bunch!!

Johnpe

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Winchester mothballed the mark v equipment instead of renovating it . They tried to push off the Supreme has a target bullet, back when silhouette target shooting had just started. like all manufacturers they have to be able to provide a profit. money makes the world go around and there's not much in the rimfire ammo manufacturing industry, a limited market with low round count. Mr. Cross I sent you my email address in Pm I would like to see that information thank you

17. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

to Toolmaker 251

Please see US Patent #5,275,108 re. antimony vs. tin. Most lead bullets range 4.8-8.5 BHN. Antimony and lead do not form a true alloy which can cause erratic hardness. All this is reviewed in detail. Roughly 10% tin alloy was chosen with 10.2 BHN. The wad in the patent was changed to a sabot.

USA Shooting is web site for Olympic Shooting.

Current best ammo is Eley tenex in a lot that your gun likes.

Best,

Hank Cross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.