1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

0/T G I 45 INFO ON ITHICA 1911 ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k1200ltc509, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

0/T G I 45 INFO ON ITHACA 1911 ???

Acquired a 1911-A1 with a group of guns, would like some info please. It is in probably 98% condition with date mag pouch I can make out the date of 1942 on the back of the pouch. Inspector cartouche is FJA. Serial @ is 1232XXX.
    M on portside of triggergaurd. O on right side of triggergaurd. P on top of slide just in front of rear sight. Crossed cannon cartouche on right side between hammer and safety pin (very faint) Brown plastic grips.

Ithaca Gun Co, Inc
    Ithaca. N.Y. On port side

United States Property M1911-A1 U S Army on the right side frame in front of the dustcover.

100% Mechanical, and 98% finish condition. Any info on dates of manufacture, value, heritage please reply.

Thanks, Rick Gibbs

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

1943 production, with Col. Frank J. Atwood "FJA" inspection mark. Watch out for refinish, if it's 95% or higher.

According to the 29th (2008) Blue Book, 98%=$2200, 95%=$1800.

Usually arsenal reworked 1911s have marking on the left side of the receiver, above or behind trigger guard. I don't remember exactly what proof marks, but I think yours is one of them.

During the period of time, Ithaca bought approx. 7000 Colt receivers because of their slow production, those Colt receivers were better made and don't have the Ithaca crude finish and rough tool marks.

If the finishes are uniform, but no tool marks on receiver & misshaped trigger guard, it could also be a refinished one.

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I recently restored and sold an Ithaca 1911 for $2000.00. You must keep in mind that price is based on what the buyer is willing to pay. You can find all about what the worth of your gun is by simply doing a 1911 google search. The various websites will help you identify the proof and inspector markings to make sure they match. One clue is, 1911's were not parkerized until the 50's, only the factory originals retain their original bluing. Best of luck to you, I was able to find matching factory parts for restoration at gun shows and the frame and slide markings corresponded. Regardless, you own a piece of history!

Robert T

4. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

The finish on the slide in front of the dustcover is rough compared to other wartime 45's I have had or looked at. Frame is definatly marked US Property and slide is marked Ithaca.

Any way to tell if it is a Colt Frame?

I've see lot's of these guns and heard all the stories about the bringbacks etc, it just looks like an unused gun. Not much wear on typical wear points on a semi-auto. It is a lot rougher then other WW2 pistols that I have owned. Thanks for the info, RG

5. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Colonel Klink could you send me a PM please I have somethings I would like to discuss with you. RG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.